correct steps? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013, 06:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

correct steps?

I would like to repaint my trans am dark solid green -Brewster green
Having a somewhat experienced friend spray it and help with prep.
Probably use Devilbliss Starting line gravity feed and hvlp detail guns I have.
It has been repainted once before, filler in some spots, welding and 1/8th deep filler in rear quarter.
Here are a few pics of the car and worst areas.

Im in canada and you can't seem to get any recommended products here.
I'm planning to get SPI epoxy primer for the sealer coat and clear, and a dupont or ppg base from across the border. This will take some time.

In the mean time, I was really hoping to buy low voc epoxy to cover rust repair areas, apply body filler, sand, another coat of epoxy. Then I could block sand the rest of the car. Once sanded wait for epoxy sealer, base and clear to arrive.

Question, am I missing a step, 2K or poly primer over deep scratches, guide coat then sand or even 2k over whole car. Or can I use the epoxy primer to fill scratches as well. If I use putty or filler for small chips/scratches, it has to be down to metal right?

Question 2, which available primer would you use
Nason 491-10 with 48301 $66
Dupont 2940S victor and V2905S $140
PPG DP50LV and DP401LV $140 which also says to use a reducer at $80/gallon, is the reducer needed?

Question 3, the rear quarter I plan to take to metal over damaged area and build up, correct?

Last question I promise, the rusty hole in the door is only through the outside metal, how is this fixed, I have a backpack sandblaster, shoot it? por-15? epoxy prime and fill? could probably have someone use suitcase welder and patch but its a pain.
sorry this rant is so long, hoping to order paint from down south asap.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 06:46 PM

Last photo:

rear quarter before pic.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:36 PM

Last photo:

Where abouts are you in Canada? I'm in BC and can get decent paints here at the local autobody supply.

I'm no expert but you really have to cut the rust out and weld in good metal, otherwise you'll be doing this again in no time. Once that's done, clean it well with wax and grease remover and epoxy. Then filler and sand until its straight. More epoxy, then your paint. I'm sure more knowledgeable guys will have some advice.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

local autobody shop doesn't sell anything
west-can in burnaby gave a price for pro-form products
2 lordcos said only proform
3rd lordco out in chilliwack said they had the ppg dp50lv
acklands only has endura even though the site says they carry nason
napa can only get endura
hot rods & classics chilliwack doesn't do paint stuff

horizon in langley actually has dupont and nason primer but as for paint can not get british racing green/midnight green/brewster in dupont or matrix and only in nason in a single stage.

haven't called white & peters yet, at this point its quicker to drive to seattle, get what i need and drive home.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

When I was doing the paint business i used to meet my Canadian customers in Bellingham and make delivery..worked out well at that time. The other thing you can do is to get a american address at the UPS store, have materials delivered there for pickup..And yes strip that thing to bare metal and make your repairs as since you have that much rust there is probably more lurking you have not found yet..

Sam
Old 03-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

OK, # 1 If your looking to Napa in Canada for paint, try their Auto Body Supply store it's called C-Max. Some Acklands stores carry a full line of Dupont, if you want Dupont from Acklands you will need to phone around, they have many Acklands stores in Vancouver and the Burnaby area. Of all the primers you listed, I wouldn't recommend any of them when SPI Epoxy will do all that you need and sand better as well and in all probability cost less. If you look in the Yellow Pages, I'm sure that PPG will be represented as well. As far as solvent based base coat in Canada now, what you are left with is Dupont's Nason, PPG's Omni for the brands you mentioned...if you want Chroma Base, Chroma Premier, Deltron or Global Base Coat you will need to go state side for it because of VOC laws in Canada.

#2 If you are going to use SPI Epoxy, they do have several Distributors in Canada, If you Like I can get you the contact information...they stock it here, it's VOC compliant and then there is no need for for 2K primer as it does have good build and sanding qualities. I would strip the entire car to bare metal, repair the rusted areas with new metal, epoxy primer , filler work, epoxy primer, guide coat, repeat until car is straight, final prep block in 400 dry or 600 wet, 800 wet if using water born base coat and clear.

#3 "Crownver is right...cut out the rust and replace it with metal or as he mentioned you will be redoing it shortly.

#4 To fix the door cut enough of the rusted area out to the point where you have good clean, unrusted metal, cut the rusted out area in a square so that it will be easier to cut a patch panel, use your sandblaster and clean the inside panel of the door, cut a patch panel sligthly smaller (and I mean slightly, like 1/8 of an inch over all or 1/16 of an inch on each of the sides. Start welding by tacking in the corners, then space your welds about an inch apart until the panel is totally welded in without any spaces left, it should be a solid weld, grind then weld smooth and follow step #3.

If I have missed anything and I'm sure I have, let me know and I'll try and help you out.

Ray

Last edited by 69 widetrack; 03-14-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:30 PM

Last photo:

A quick check showed a "Chases autobody supplies" in Vancouver. I'ved used the Proform epoxy primer and it seems decent.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:40 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

It's kind of hard to tell from the pic but I'm wondering whether the rust that high on the quarter is a result from paint chipped away or the actual rust ate the metal away til it bubbled? Looks like the rust caused the paint to bubble/ chip and not the chip causing the rust, which is a bad sign for the overall "guess" of what's under that paint. This would mean there's more rust, especially in the predictable areas. It could have also been a result of the body work in that area done with a slobbering compressor or not taking out all the rust, but now it's a guessing game. I wouldn't feel confident with not stripping that car unless I was 100% sure that big area of surface rust was caused by a scratch or chip to bare metal that slowly rusted. As for the other area, that tells you there may be rust elsewhere, but that surface rust HIGH on the quarter tells you THERE'S RUST EVERYWHERE ON THIS THING! I hope not.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:08 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownver View Post
A quick check showed a "Chases autobody supplies" in Vancouver. I'ved used the Proform epoxy primer and it seems decent.
Damn Crownver, you've done your homework...Chase Auto Body Supply has outlets in most major centers Winnipeg to the West Coast...Good supplier, the deal in Sikkens products for your base coat...the Value Line used to be Lessonal but I'm not sure what they call it now that everything has gone VOC compliant...The Lessonal of all the Value Brands would rate as on of the better ones.

What I outlined in my previous post is exactly that, it's an outline, there is much more to it, like what options do you have in stripping the car, (it should be stripped), how to properly weld patches in and tools you would need to minimize warping the repair panel. A lot of detail from everything on how to mix fillers to applying filler to minimize pin holes, blocking techniques, the application of primer from gun pattern to air pressure to flash times between coats, final block and how to make sure your blocking is straight so you don't have a wavy finish, gun set up, pressures spray patterns for base and clear as well as flash times for each.

These are some of the things that I didn't get into detail on when outlining basic procedures. If you are interested in these detail, I'm sure we can help. You mentioned you had a painter with some experience, that's great and I'd be happy to answer all questions that I can, as I said, just ask and there are many other people on this forum that I know are very qualified and would also be glad to lend a hand.

Best of Luck, I'm a big Pontiac fan and would love to see you have a beautiful, shiny Trans Am.

Ray
Old 03-14-2013, 11:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Damn Crownver, you've done your homework...Chase Auto Body Supply has outlets in most major centers Winnipeg to the West Coast
Ha! All I did was check on-line yellow pages for autobody supplier. That was the first one I found. Here in Nanaimo I either use Lordco, or (mostly) a local supplier Videls Autobody Supply. (Actually the only dedicated autobody supplier in town. I like dealing with someone who knows what they're talking about, because I'm pretty clueless when it comes to paint!
Old 03-15-2013, 12:16 AM

Last photo:

This has been a great help, I will be calling SPI canada and other suppliers tommorow. Stripping the whole car might just take this first timer past his comfort zone. Although these forums usually give good advice and generally tell me what I need to hear. I'll try to get some more pics of the condition up tommorow.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:44 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Well Crownver, I've got Yellow pages for right across Canada, I could have...but you did...good on ya bud.

99tjadams...I apologize...my first post was hurried...and...my wife was getting home late from work....and I was getting Dinner ready for her and I didn't have a bunch of time, everything I was cooking was getting ready all at once...who can make that up...

Don't be afraid of stripping the car...I'd be more afraid of not knowing what's underneath that 2nd paint job, painting it only to find out you had every reason to be afraid is something that just about everyone to a man that has posted here has recommended it. The first time any of us stripped a car...we where first timers at that too.

Do you have the contact information for SPI Canada or a local SPI supplier, if you don't, let me know and I'll send you a PM (private message) with the co-ordinates.

Love to see more pictures...and send pictures of the good and especially the bad.

Ray
Old 03-15-2013, 12:51 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownver View Post
Ha! All I did was check on-line yellow pages for autobody supplier. That was the first one I found. Here in Nanaimo I either use Lordco, or (mostly) a local supplier Videls Autobody Supply. (Actually the only dedicated autobody supplier in town. I like dealing with someone who knows what they're talking about, because I'm pretty clueless when it comes to paint!
I've got to hand it to you Crowner, you have a lot of pearls of wisdom....The jobber you choose is one of the most important things you can do...get the place that has knowledgeable staff, that can explain everything step by step...anybody can hand you a can of paint...I prefer the company that has the people that can not only sell me a can of paint but, but has have the knowledge to be able to intelligently discuss all the steps needed for the product to work. You have more of a chance with a company that goes this extra mile, if something does go wrong, they are more apt to help you out.

Lordco if I'm correct sells PPG, we don't have them out here...but I seem to remember that they had either PPG or Nexa...which is now the same product, just a different label.

Paint is paint (when comparing top line to top line, value brand to value brand)...they all work...it's the service that's the difference.

Ray
Old 03-15-2013, 01:05 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Ray, means a lot coming from you.

While you're PMing 99tjadams can you do the same for me?

By the way, what the H are you doing up this time of night? You're in Ontario right? It's 11:00 PM here so must be 3 in the morning where you are! Do you ever sleep?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

LOL...I'm one of those guys that get going on about 4 hours sleep, if it's 6 hours I've slept in...been that way my whole life, was up and at it at 7:30 this morning. I find I get more done in the morning than if I start later. Yes, I'm in Ontario but, I'm a Western boy at heart and miss BC, Alberta, even Manitoba, OH ya I lived in Saskatchewan too...LOL.

And by the way...your welcome...I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it. I'm a big advocate of choosing Jobbers and have mentioned it many times and I do thank you again, it is that important.

Not a problem, I will forward the Co-ordinates to both of you, I don't know if you've ever going to contact Barry K, but the man is direct, you will always know where you stand, (good or bad and I like that) and a straight shooter with a boat load of knowledge.

Ray

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.