Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Correct Timing Chain Tension
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2005, 11:30 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Correct Timing Chain Tension

Hello,
I need some expert advice.
For a week now, I have went through two timing chains because of listening to what someone else said. I am not sure they were right though.
I am rebuilding a sbc 350 with a 4bolt main. All the machine work was done by NAPA.
In any event, could someone tell me what the correct tension is suppose to be for a newly installed double roller timing chain?
In my case, when I hung the chain on the crank sprocket/w camshaft sprocket attached, it bolted right up with no problem. I installed it "dot to dot." That is not advance or retarded, I just left it at the manufacturer setting.
Now that it is installed(I do not have any pistons in yet, just crank and cam), I can spin the crank freely without any binding in the timing chain or anywhere else. The problem is that the chain itself it tight, no play whatsoever unless I apply light pressure by hand to deflect it a little. Is this normal tension? I am afraid of wearing out cam bearing prematurely.
Can any one help?
Thanks,
rob