Hot Rod Forum banner

Correct Valve Height Measurement

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  LilSmoke 
#1 ·
I am trying to measure the installed valve height on my L-98 aluminum heads and I have a question on the measuring tool.
I bought one of those slick Proform micrometers but it doesn't come with any real instructions. The top of this micrometer tool has a recess where my LT4 retainers fit inside perfectly- However, all the pictures I've seen where people are using these tools shows that the valve retainer sits ON TOP of the tool and not in the recess. I guess these retainers must be smaller than most?
Since my retainers don't sit on top, my measurements aren't accurate since (as measured with my calipers) it appears the readings on the tool match the outside height, not inside the recess.
I have 2 questions:
Can anyone tell me what the recess depth is on this tool so I can just add that figure to my measurements?
If this is not practical, what other options do I have?
It seems silly that they machined a recess into this tool if it isn't meant to be used for measuring.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated-
Thanks!
Elm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.