Hot Rod Forum banner

Which is the correct way to install dist. center plate?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  n_keiser_rat 
#1 ·
This is on a Chevy 350 HEI distributor.

Which is the correct way to install the center plate?

I have two of these and they both were different. The weight set on top looks correct to me, but it puts the GM center plate numbers down ( bottom set ), the top set is aftermarket ( Mallory ) it has an "L" on top in the picture and the bottom of the plate corners are rounded.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
MT71c-10 said:
This is on a Chevy 350 HEI distributor. Which is the correct way to install the center plate?
The correct orientation is the BOTTOM set that you show.

Here's an image of one of my distributors:

Hopefully you'll see this before assembling your distributor wrong, but it's an easy fix if you did. Likely you saw before hand that it wasn't right if you set it up as in the top set you show.

Also, you should be able to see wear marks on the OEM set that will tell you which side is down against the wear button.

BUT- if you happen to have, or be looking through, a bunch of weights and cams, if the weights and cam came from a CCW rotation distributor (like '67-up Olds and '55-'81 Pontiac V8 except 307 Pontiac V8) the wear marks will be on the opposite side of the weights and cams.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.