Corrosion protection after sandblasting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2009, 05:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Corrosion protection after sandblasting

Hey there!
I'm up to sandblast my car that doesn't tend to be a hot rod much - some rare japanese can - 1984 Toyota Celica GT-R Coupe (one of 1500 coupes). Video. I'm on my way to restore it. So as a hotrodder in my heart I think that you all are very common with sandblasting, corrosion protection, welding and then painting tandem of processes.
The car needs to be sandblasted for lots of reasons, so it's a point we won't discuss. But the fun starts at sandblasting - hope the metal won't warp or anything, I'll try to test the sandblasting equipment they have on small body parts if they will warp or heat a lot. As I heard the car is better to get coated during next 6 hours after sandblasting as micro-rust is a very bad thing, tho the guys at Discovery (yep, the show them here also) do metal works for hell a load of time. That's what I heard, probably it depends on the climate. (I live in St. Petersburg, Russia, it's a big city and also is a sea port, high humidity follows of course) Okay, never mind.
I'd need to do a lot of welding, plus I definitely need a good corrosion protection (imagine a good frosty Canadian winter... the protection!). So can you advice me some good protecting coats and epoxy that I should use after sandblasting? so they can get sanded after all welding is done and get a heavy primary epoxy. (Some coats need to be painted is a limited time, as I heard)
Well, most of 3M products are available here, so are most of other brands (but the lack of House Of Kolor). Please, tell me what you've got on your mind.
Thank you!

Advertisement

Last edited by Diskovod; 09-07-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2009, 06:13 PM

Is soda blasting available in your parts? If it is you wouldn't have to worry about the drawbacks of sand.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

The guy at sandblasting company said they had tried using soda to blast out some paint, but it hadn't really blasted anything, as he said. Maybe they used wrong kind of soda or wrong pressure to blast it... Do you have any experience of soda blasting?
Old 09-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

See this comprehensive wiki article: Soda blasting.

Also, see: Sandblasting and Media blasting.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:22 PM

Last photo:

Is Picklex-20 available over there? From my experience it gives excellent medium-term protection from rust under most conditions. It is a little on the pricey side (about $100 US per gallon) but worth it if it's going to be awhile before you can get epoxy sprayed. I have a hood that I Picklex-ed about two years ago and it still shows no sign of rust. Good-luck!
Old 09-08-2009, 05:20 AM

I just got started, but I can tell you its great. I bought a home soda blaster from Eastwood (www.eastwood.com ). They have a pretty good video. One of the side benefits of soda is that the residew provides a protective coating on the metal although I wouldn't rely on that in your climate. My 64 Falcon had 5 coats of paint on it and I had no problem going to bare metal. Around here the going price to have an entire car done is $1,500.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:40 PM

Last photo:

Thanks all!
I doubt it is available, but okay if maybe I can get it from Finland if it's there.
Thanks for the write-ups on soda-blasting and sand-blasting! Yeah, probably, I should mess with soda on important exterior parts and sand-blast the more meaty parts - interior, underbody and engine compartment. I've read some threads and guess panels after they got soda-blasted are better to get washed out with soap from the soda dust that doesn't seem to be good to stay there under paint.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:31 AM

64 Bird.... are you cleaning your soda parts with Holdtight 102 or just soap and water ?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.