Hot Rod Forum banner

corvair box for t roadster

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  greaserjohn 
#1 ·
This is my first t roadster build. corvair box with mod. 48 ford spindles on scratch made 2x3 frame. The question is about the steering it seems that I have way to much travel. When I turn left the tire hits the hairpin and when I turn right it looks like I will just about turn my wheels sideways. Is there a way to limit the travel on this box? I can't be the first with this problem. Thanks for any help

#2 ·
You should limit the turn distance with stops on the king pin nuts. Deuce Factory,TCI,SoCal,etc make them. They go on the tapered pin that holds the king pin into the axle in place of a regular nut. They contact the back of the spindle as the stop. If they don't allow enough turn you can shorten them.
Have fun,Smokey

#3 ·
Hey John,
I just noticed that you are kind of new to the forum. Welcome! For the most part this seems like a pretty good board with a bunch of good ideas and help.
A member that is more computer savy than me will most likely put up a link for the steering stops.
Have a good one,Smokey

#6 ·
Sorry guys I seem to have left out some info.

Sorry I was in a hurry to head out to Christmas dinner when I posted. I am using a 4 inch drop tube axle. I have seen the stops but I thought they were for the beam style axles only. Mabye I don't know how they work. Even with a tube axle I can't be the only one with this problem. For those who have already posted thank you and sorry I left out some import information. most of the stuff I have worked on are cars from the 50's and 60's.

#7 ·
greaserjohn said:
I am using a 4 inch drop tube axle. I have seen the stops but I thought they were for the beam style axles only. Mabye I don't know how they work.
The long nuts have two purposes. One is to retain the tapered pin that prevents the kingpin from coming out or revolving in the axle boss. The second is to act as a stop to limit how far the spindles will rotate. As you turn, the back side of one of the spindles (depends on which direction you are turning as to which spindle will come in contact with the stop) will contact the nut (stop) and limit the travel.

They are used on beam and tube axles, dropped or stock. ;)

#8 ·
Thanks for info.

Thanks for the info guy's. Seems that the kingpin stop bolts will not work. If you look at the info on the speedway 2006 cat page 17 in lower right corner you can see my set up. The tube axle does not use the cross bolt but a set screw. Tell me if you think this will not work but after seeing the posts I thought why can't I replace the set screw with a shcs and use that for a stop. I will be out in the shop Fri. and give it a try. Seems like an easy fix. If anyone see's a reason this will not work let me know. Thanks for the help. I was pissed Sat. night. But seems so simple now. Thanks again.

#9 ·
Steering stops

Mike Britton here.
The axle on my '29 is the same as yours in that it uses set screws to locate the king pins. Must be typical of T-bucket style axles.
The guy that built my roadster solved the problem by making two 1/8" thick pices of metal, shaped somewhat like 3/4 ths of a pizza pie, and welding them to the front of the backside of the spindle. ( have I thourouly confused you yet? They are fitted so that as the spindle (in my case, '48 ford) comes around, the back of the spindle meets the axle, and stops. If I've done everything right, I have a picture.
This setup has proven itself to be worthy on a nine second,155mph roadster that has had it's share of magazine style wheelstands, and still stops the wheels just shy of the wishbones.
Grazer John, if you want to send me your E-mail address, I can send you a picture. I guess my camera takes too big a picture for the forum to print, and I don't have a clue how to make it smaller. I'm still learning all this computer hocus pocus........

#11 ·
Thanks Mike

I solved the problem by drilling and tapping the axle and running a shcs and jam nut. I like the look of the stop welded on the spindle and will keep that in mind for future builds. Also good luck on reg. of the car looks cool and should turn some heads as you drive buy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.