Corvair engine woes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Lovin' The Cruzin'

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Corvair engine woes

Okay, here goes: I realize that Corvairs aren't most guys ideas of a highly sought after project, but I love them. I joined this forum back years ago when I tackled a 1964 Monza convertible. That project fell through, so I sold it and many parts so I could invest in a road worthy car. I found a 1960 500 2-door (in avatar photo) in '08, and it has been a pleasure to drive it as I work on it.

Well, I know this is the engine forum, so here's my issue. In the last 6 months or so I have had a problem with my car "dying" while I am driving. It acts like you either shut of all fuel, or just turn off the ignition switch. I suspected fuel, but I have rebuilt both carbs, removed and sealed fuel tank and replaced screen on pickup, replaced all fuel hoses. I have been told that Corvair fuel pumps either work or they don't, so I'm not sure if that could be an issue,

I eventually decided to go to electrical troubleshooting: new coil, spark plugs, points, distributor cap. Plug wires are good, starter is less than 4 years old.

The car ran really well up until the issue started as I mentioned. HELP!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Tell us more. When it dies does it start right back up and keep going? Any high temp issues when it dies? Have you given the under-dash wires the jiggle test? While it's running, move them around, gently, especially around the ignition switch, see if it dies or tries to. Are all motor grounds to the frame tight and clean? Does it have a neutral safety switch, maybe on the clutch pedal or trans-axle that's intermittent? (Not a likely problem if it starts...)

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 11-20-2012, 08:10 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

hard start

I've had a couple corvair powered dunebuggies. the first one was next to impossible to restart after setting a few minutes, I used to carry a pump oil squirt can filled with gas and have to give the carbs a shot of gas. On the second one I machined the heads and added more intake carb flanges then built a spider-leg manifold ( like headers in reverse) and ran a single holly truck 2 barrel, I never any problems with the holly. and it would pull the front wheels up in second gear.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS View Post
Tell us more. When it dies does it start right back up and keep going? Any high temp issues when it dies? Have you given the under-dash wires the jiggle test? While it's running, move them around, gently, especially around the ignition switch, see if it dies or tries to. Are all motor grounds to the frame tight and clean? Does it have a neutral safety switch, maybe on the clutch pedal or trans-axle that's intermittent? (Not a likely problem if it starts...)
"what's the humidity when the car acts up" is another thing to consider.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Lovin' The Cruzin'

Last photo:

More info.

Thanks guys for responding so quickly. When it quits, it seems to "catch" again most of the time when I pump the gas, but that may be just a coincidence, leading me to think it's fuel problems. It does it no matter whether it's warm or cold, so no vapor lock. I haven't tried jiggling wires under the dash yet--I guess that may be my next spot to look. There is no neutral safety switch that I know of, and yes, it does start up and idles fine. The wiring is in good shape as far as i have seen, but I will do some poking around. THANKS!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:01 PM

Last photo:

Years ago I had a Greenbriar van - same corvair engine. The fuel pump on mine was held in place by a jamb bolt on the side of the housing. It would periodically work loose, allowing the entire pump to rise and fall, held primarily by the metal fuel lines. At idle and low rpms, it would pump enough gas to keep it running - when I revved it up more, the pump would rise, and stay there so it wasn't pumping much, if any, gas. Make sure yours isn't loose - it will look fine when the engine is off. Also, periodically check the screws holding the fuel pump together - they have a tendency to loosen, and when they do, it sprays gas all over the top of the engine! That was the first car I ever bought that had two fire extinguishers in it - I should have suspected something!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:08 AM
Lovin' The Cruzin'

Last photo:

I will check that bolt--I know what you are talking about. I am very suspicious of the ignition circuit, so I will be checking all the wiring. I wanted to run the problem by the experts on this forum before proceeding further. I'll let you know what I find WHEN I figure this out

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, GUYS And by the way, If you see any veterans during your holiday travels, be sure to thank them for their service!!!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:10 AM

Last photo:

Corvair engine woes

Well that was going to be my suggestion the ignition circuit. What type distributor does it have? If it's points style check the condenser and the pickup coil assembly with a multimeter. If it is an electronic, have the module tested at the Auto Parts store. Check the pickup coil assembly with a multimeter. Check the coil with wires disconnected with a multimeter. First check the resistance between the two side terminals. Reading should be 0.75-0.81 ohms. Then check between the side terminals and the center high output terminal. reading should be 10,000-11,000 ohms. Here is an article to read on HEI distributors. It has how to test parts of the distributor.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:20 AM
boatbob2

Fuel Pump

Rafee corvair .com,has an electrical fuel pump kit,it has all the parts for the install included,price is $89.95 plus shipping,i just ordered one for my 61 monza.it includes the aluminum plug to replace the old fuel pump. (ive owned 9 Corvairs)
Old 11-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Lovin' The Cruzin'

Last photo:

I checked the bolt on the fuel pump--it is tight. Appreciate the other suggestion, but I want to stay with the stock fuel pump. I kinda am ruling out fuel issues unless there is trash in the bowls of the carbs. After Thanksgiving I'll get on the wiring check, and then tear down the carbs if nothing shows up in the wiring. Thanks
Old 11-21-2012, 01:38 PM

I put a pertronix ignition system in mine and it works very well.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:16 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

I apologize if this has been mentioned before, I only skimmed the responses, but have you driven the car while monitoring fuel pressure to see if the pump is acting up? What's the fuel pressure at idle?
Old 11-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,328 Times in 1,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzinTLT View Post
I checked the bolt on the fuel pump--it is tight. Appreciate the other suggestion, but I want to stay with the stock fuel pump. I kinda am ruling out fuel issues unless there is trash in the bowls of the carbs. After Thanksgiving I'll get on the wiring check, and then tear down the carbs if nothing shows up in the wiring. Thanks
It would surprise me if this was a carburetor problem. Since the Vairs have two carbs I would expect it to run ruff before it died. It would not seem probable that it would just shut off. I too suspect ignition.

John L
Old 11-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Lovin' The Cruzin'

Last photo:

I don't have the equipment to test the fuel pressure, but I appreciate your input. A friend of mine suggested that too.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:24 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Autozone (or any other box store) should have the tool that you can rent with a deposit and return and get your deposit back. Checking fuel pressure would be the first thing I would do.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.