Corvair Exhaust? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2002, 11:08 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Corvair Exhaust?

Flowmaster is supposed to have to burliest sound. But I have also heard of the corvair having a pretty sick sounding exhaust. All of the preceeding includes headers. Are there any other mufflers or other combos that have great sound. Please include if you have any suggestions for headers, I have had friends who have had better experience with with hedman, so i am favoriing them now.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2002, 06:17 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Corvair header choice is fairly limited, packaging makes them pretty much all the same in layout. I used to own a herd of 'vairs and a good running one has a great exhaust note. I'd look at what's available and pick the heaviest tubing and probably have it coated by HPC, and Flowmasters sound like a nice touch. Just remember a big one is only 164" and with the limited space for exhaust too big a muffler can kill your low end.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:42 AM
SAE Member, ASE Master Cert.

I think the confusion here is due to the fact that the original "turbo" mufflers were production Corvair items. Years ago, there wasn't much, if any, selection of high performance mufflers. You had a choice of running stock mufflers or straight-through glass packs. Then someone realized that the turbocharged Corvairs had a fairly low-restriction muffler that was relatively quiet and had good flow. Hence, everyone was going to the auto parts stores and asking for Corvair Turbo mufflers. Now everyone and their brother in manufacturing "turbo" mufflers.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:55 AM

If your looking for Corvair mufflers there are several venders that carry them. Corvair Underground and Clarks are a couple that are good. Larry's Corvair is also good. I have a Corvair 140 with dual exhaust I bought from the Underground. It sounds great. I also have a set of extractors that are pretty loud. They were on it when I bought the car. It also had a 4 barrel setup. It did not run very well so I went to stock. The extractors tend to burn out quickly. If you use headers on a Corvair you won't have any heat. The car heat is pulled of the exhaust manifolds. You can't use the sheet metal for the heater with headers. If you want them, the above vendors carry them. If you own a Corvair and are interested in some performance upgrades buy the Book How to Hot Rod your Corvair. It talks about carb modifications and other performance upgrades. My 140 has a mild cam which makes it scream with stock 4 1 barrel carbs and dual exhaust. The Corvair forum at: <a href="http://www.corvaircenter.com/forum/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.corvaircenter.com/forum/index.html</a> is a great place to get all the info you need on repairing and modifying a Corvair. Mine is fun to drive and handles as well as any Corvette.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.