Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Is a Corvair pitman arm the only pitman arm that fits Corvair box?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 09:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Is a Corvair pitman arm the only pitman arm that fits Corvair box?

Hello. I just joined up to HotRodders.com. This is a great site and I have been learning stuff from you guys for years.

We are building a little hot rod pickup with a suicide front end. It has a reversed Corvair steering box that sits on top of the frame. I would like the pickup to steer sharper when turning left without the tire hitting the drag link. What we have is a Speedway pitman arm that has the offset. I'd like to have a straight pitman arm to move the drag link toward the frame. This would give us clearance from the tire and also make the hairpin more visible from the side. I'll make the steering arm match so that the drag link is parallel with the hairpins.

I would like to find a forged Corvair pitman arm. I assume that the arm will have the offset like the Speedway arm. Will I be able to heat and straighten it and then slow cool it or would it be better to cut my own arm out of steel and weld the Corvair splined end into a ring cut in the new arm?

My other question is are there other pitman arms that have the same splined end as the Corvair arm?

Thanks for any input