Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Corvette 383 Stroker Problems
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 01:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Corvette 383 Stroker Problems

Hello all. I bought a 69 Corvette that has a 383 small block stroker installed. Never been raced and has less than 6000 street miles. It has Dart Pro 1 215/64 AP heads, compression rated at 11.0 to 1, MSD6A ignition, MSD ProBillet Dist (no vacuum advance), it has a Comp Cams CS294S 10 Magnum solid lifter cam. I have an Edelbrock Performer 800 CFM Carb on an Edelbrock RPM airgap manifold. Engine builder claims this engine with this cam will run on the street with 91 octane fuel, and is rated at 538 HP new.

Dart recommends Autolite AR3933, I couldn't find them locally so I'm running Champion RC12YC plugs, I have them gapped at .45 with this MSD ignition. I have 10 degrees of initial advance and when I bring up the RPMs I'm hearing a slight bit of popping back in the Carb. I'm wondering about a proper heat range for occasional driving on the street. I've set all 16 valves @ .022.

I was told I need to have 34 degrees of total advance and they should all be in by 2500 RPMs with this cam, so I've used the lightest set of mechanical advance springs supplied by MSD in order to do so according to their chart on the instruction sheet. I don't know if this is a problem or not.

The engine was built in 2003. When I bought the car in 2003 the engine had about 1000 miles on it. Like the previous owner I have only driven the car to local car shows totaling less than 6000 miles since the purchase. I probably drive the car four times a year and lately just around the neighborhood to keep everything lubed.

The other day I had an oil change done on the car and discovered they had put 8 quarts of oil in my 7 quart oil pan, engine smoked a bit on the driver's side on the way home, a mile and a half. Not wanting to drive the car back, I took two quarts out at home and no more smoking problem. I think the excessive oil was being splashed up and onto the cylinder walls and burned in the engine. I mention this because that small bit of driving may be responsible for the fouling I see on the plugs now. This pic is typical of the plugs I've removed:

I'm noticing now a very slight pinging sound on moderate acceleration. So I have the car back in the garage wondering what to do next. New plugs, different heat range, more timing, heavier springs on the mechanical advance???

I'm new to the board and would appreciate any help. Thanks