Corvette brakes on all 4 corners... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2006, 06:06 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Corvette brakes on all 4 corners...

Front brakes on the front and front brakes on the rear! That's just how it woked out because rear rotors and calipers were not available during mockup, so I used fronts on both ends.

I'm just now finding out that the front pots are 2 1/8" diameter and the (stock) rears are 1 5/8" diameter. Now I have four 2 1/8" pots. Will I need a proportioning valve to reduce the "grab" to the rears? What about the master cylinder? I was planning on using a 7/8" bore for manual brakes. Any other potential pitfalls?

Thanks!

Russ

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2006, 09:30 PM
abstruse dutch uncle

Last photo:

I would purchase a rear caliper, and see if it mounts up the same. It takes the same pads. You're talking about a C3 corvette?
I have them listed as 1 7/8" front, 1 3/8" rear, with a 1" master for manual brakes. You would probably want an even bigger master with 4 fronts, and a high pedal ratio, like 7:1 or more. Even with a prop valve it might spin out on a hard brake situation.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last photo:

No this stuff is all C4 (1987). I never noticed the sizes until looking into caliper kits, which is where I saw the 2 1/8" vs. 1 5/8" size difference. I'm pretty well locked in for now, but may change my mind after driving it (yrs from now!)

Russ
Old 01-19-2006, 10:32 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

If you are going to manual brakes anyways just go all the way and put in dual MC's with a balance bar and peddle. All the aftermarket brake companies make them. You could then use a smaller bore MC for the front brakes and a larger bore for the rear brakes. Just guessing but I bet 3/4" front and 1" rear would be a good combo.

Something like this

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/005-...mcbp/index.asp
Old 01-19-2006, 10:46 PM
abstruse dutch uncle

Last photo:

Bingo!
Wish I'd thought of that.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:06 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Just out of curiosity, why would you go through the trouble to set up a sweet brake system and then not use power brakes?
Old 01-19-2006, 11:57 PM
abstruse dutch uncle

Last photo:

Personally, I like the way manual brakes feel compared to any kind of power brakes.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Jet
Just out of curiosity, why would you go through the trouble to set up a sweet brake system and then not use power brakes?
Turbos, baby! Not ruling it out, but the booster does take up some room. I'm planning on using the Kugel bellcrank pedal so there'll be nothing on the firewall or under the floorpan. I'm also considering using a hydroboost system, but evertime I think about the complexity and cost, my mind reverts to the manual setup... BTW, I have a vacuum booster on my turbo'ed S-10 and it works perfectly even with the boost and all.

Russ
Old 01-20-2006, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN
I'm planning on using the Kugel bellcrank pedal so there'll be nothing on the firewall or under the floorpan.
Kugel Komponents is just down the street from me. My dad even taught some of the guys in HS. They make nice stuff...but it won't fix your problem of using the same brakes on all 4 wheels.

Surf around on the Wilwood website. They have a reverse mount peddle assembly...but it might be a pain to fill them up because of the dash being in the way.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:02 PM

Corvette brakes 4 corners

Use a manual master cylinder from 1967 Corvette, they are cheaper, get an after market proportiing valve and it will work great. I have used them on T-Buckets, Model A with corvette rear ends, and 1967 chevy pick up.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Last photo:

I agree with Big Dawg, the Corvette master is the way to go. get one for 67 to 74 or so with 4 wheel manual disk brakes and an adjustable proportioning valve. Come by the house and you can see one with the valve installed. PM me for time and place.

Vince
Old 01-22-2006, 08:04 PM

IMO going with a 67 vette MC would be a bad idea.

The brakes he is using (post 82 GM) were made to use a quick take-up MC. They have the square cut o-ring grooves cut at a steeper angle than previous stuff. That causes the pistons to retract when not in use in order to get better fuel mileage. The down side is that you will now have to make up the air gap before applying the brakes which will cause there to be too much peddle travel (ideally there should be no peddle travel).

What GM did to counteract this was to start using step-bore master cylinders (aka quick take-up). They have a large bore that will bring the pads into contact and then transition over to the smaller bore for harder braking.

If you were going to use the 67 vette MC (or the dual MC's and balance bar assembly that I suggested) you would need to use 2# residual pressure valves on both front and rear lines to keep the peddle travel down. In the case of the after market MC's and balance bar you don't have a choice. With a factory MC use one that will match your calipers.

PS
If you want to read up more on balance bars and prop valves check out this
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...g_valves.shtml
If you have the rear brake pressure turned as low as it will go you won't end up with the "Knee" that they have shown (like the bottom line below)

...Just something to think about...
Old 01-22-2006, 08:29 PM
Last photo:

Interesting! Had no idea GM was doing this. On my 34 I have new Wilwood forged polished calipers on all four wheels with the Vette master and residual valves front and rear. I thought the residuals were just for a below floor mounted master...guess they serve a dual function if the Wilwood calipers do the same as the Vette's.

Vince
Old 01-23-2006, 10:47 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triaged
Kugel Komponents is just down the street from me. My dad even taught some of the guys in HS. They make nice stuff...but it won't fix your problem of using the same brakes on all 4 wheels.

Surf around on the Wilwood website. They have a reverse mount peddle assembly...but it might be a pain to fill them up because of the dash being in the way.
I found their reverse mount pedal for dual M/C setup with balance bar, NICE! I may end up going this route with 2 different bore cylinders, just need to crunch some numbers and see what sizes. Even cheaper than the Kugel...

Thanks!

Russ
Old 01-27-2006, 04:40 PM

If you used the c4 master you don"t need a porportioning valve

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.