The corvette has no grill?!? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 07:25 AM
Banned User

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The corvette has no grill?!?

[Note: please be understanding----when i wake up, dozens of thougts flow through my mind(this in itself is a miracle because most of the time nothing flows through my mind)]

i noticed that from 63 to about 82 the corvette really did not have much of a grill. Big blocks were available from 65 to 76(i think?) yet the engines were able to be kept cool.

From the 84 model to now the corvette has NO GRILL. Yet the 350 engine was able to keep normal temperature even under vigorous driving. i think the current corvette has a 427 inch option?

For that matter the trans-camaros from 82 to 2002 did not have much of a grill either. Yes, the current camaro has one, but that's only because gm got weak and simply follwed ford's lead (as they did 45 years ago); If ford had not come out with the retro styled mustang, chevy would not have come out with a similar styled camaro. You can bet the bank on that.

i understand (sort of) that in these applications there is an air dam that channels air to the radiator while the car is moving.

So this proves you really don't need a grill?

Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 08:22 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

The air intake is under the bumper, THAT is your "grille". The "grille" on many cars is not doing anywhere near the air intake for cooling that the air dam under the bumper is doing. For that matter there is usually two "grilles" with the lower one doing equal or more that the upper one is doing.

The "air management" has improved over the years and is much more complicated than the old cars of old where they simply stuck a radiator out there with air going thru it and out the bottom of the car or out the hood sides on an earlier car like a 34 Ford.

Today, the air management is very complex, on super low drag coefficient cars like a Vette or at the other end of the spectrum a Prius have a very complicated placement of covers and underbody shields that direct air EXACTLY where they want it.

You know a funny thing that has happened to me lately on this regard is how this is displayed when you run over something like a plastic bag. Just lately I have ran over two large plastic shopping bags with my Rambler, both got stuck under the car. On most cars these days this bag will simply get whipped around and blow out from under the car as it passes. On the 1959 car I am driving it got caught under it and when I stopped at the next stop light it simply fell off as I drove away. I honestly don't remember that happening on a late model car I have driven, interesting.

Brian
Old 06-22-2012, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

The C-3 the most important thing with the cooling is the intake under the front of engine or second grill, a lot of people will leave them off as you cannot see them and then they will be fighting an overheating problem.

Now as for them ruining cool, I can tell you from owning my 79th one with the two I have now, heat has always been a problem.
On the 454, I have a super duty oil cooler, the biggest trans cooler you can get and a different size fan pulley, just to keep that thing half way cool.

That is why a lot of people change the wiring to the starter to run off a separate solenoid like ford does.
Because even when new the 427 and 454 it was not uncommon to stop and try to restart and the starter was to hot to crank.
I was going to do this to the 454 but the oil and trans cooler corrected the problem

Last edited by BarryK; 06-22-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: I'm stupid
Old 06-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

You know those stupid looking pieces of plastic they have on the bottoms of the cars now? Those direct air to the rad and a lot of cars must have them in place or else they will have coolong problems
Old 06-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

They direct air TO the radiator and just as important they take the air AWAY from the radiator. This is one of the most important things about cooling that is often missed on hotrods and engine swaps. The exact same amount of air that gets to the radiator is only EQUALED by the amount that leaves!

You can have the biggest radiator with the biggest grille but if the same amount of air that hits it can't escape out behind it, it will do you no good.

This is the biggest problem with the Vette, the air intake isn't all that bad, its how the motor is crammed in there that causes the problems. The air movement around the motor helps cool it too.

Brian
Old 06-22-2012, 10:52 AM

Last photo:

I was able to buy my 87 trans am cheap; because it had cooling issues; brought it home, replaced the "air dams" under the front end...problem solved.
the 3rd gen trans am's have no 'grille' and those miserable pop up headlights taking up space, so it has 2 fans on the radiator and a single inlet tube for cold air; the camaro has the opposite, 1 fan and 2 small ducts.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.