corvette master cylinder - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2007, 07:42 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

corvette master cylinder

Has anyone been successfull using a 1988 corvette master cylinder? I am using Mustang II disc brakes up front and G.M. drums in the rear.My pedal is soft.I've done all the tests .Everything checks out.Mayby the 7/8" bore is too small for my set-up? I've purchased a new cylinder with a 1" bore,once I try it ,I can't return it.Thanks for any help!35OLDS Also ,it is a firewall mount.I even isolated the brake ,blocking off the rear,switching the lines still spongy and almost to the floor b-4 it locks up.Thanks again!! they are manuel brakes

Advertisement

Last edited by 35olds; 04-28-2007 at 08:25 AM. Reason: to add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Last photo:

The most common m/c used on street rods is a 67 Vette. Why did you settle on an 88?

Vince
Old 04-28-2007, 03:32 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Why would you use a disc/disc master cylinder on a disc/drum braking system?
Old 04-28-2007, 03:56 PM
NAVY VETERAN

Last photo:

ya cant do that?
Old 04-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Exhaust, Filler, and Trailer
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg
ya cant do that?
You have to put a 10 lb. residual pressure valve in the line to the rear drum brakes. Wheel cylinders only seal one way and can allow air into the system under certain conditions. The square cut o-rings on disc pistons seal both ways and don't require a residual pressure valve (unless the master cylinder is located below the calipers, like under the floor of a hot rod. Then you need a 2 psi residual pressure valve in the disc line to keep the pistons from retracting).
Old 04-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Why would you use a disc/disc master cylinder on a disc/drum braking system?
nice catch-----went over my head the first time I read it----

Bryan
Old 04-29-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35olds
Has anyone been successfull using a 1988 corvette master cylinder? I am using Mustang II disc brakes up front and G.M. drums in the rear.My pedal is soft.I've done all the tests .Everything checks out.Mayby the 7/8" bore is too small for my set-up? I've purchased a new cylinder with a 1" bore,once I try it ,I can't return it.Thanks for any help!35OLDS Also ,it is a firewall mount.I even isolated the brake ,blocking off the rear,switching the lines still spongy and almost to the floor b-4 it locks up.Thanks again!! they are manuel brakes
Well,first of all,all 67 Corvettes had 4 wheel disc brakes,2nd,the 88 cylinder is very attractive looking compared to most,all my research tells me that a 4 wheel disc cyl. will work on a rear drum set-up. I plugged the rear brakes off,and the front is still spongy,the pedal travel is way too much B-4 the brakes lock.I guess I'll try the larger bore cyl., thanks
Old 04-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last photo:

Spongy pedal and too much travel can be separate problems.

Spongy is most commonly caused by air. But is can also be caused by bad hoses or an improperly braced master cylinder mount. Is this on the 35 Olds your name implies? Watch the firewall while someone pushes the pedal. Are the calipers mounted so the bleeders are at the high point? (I know that question may seem stupid, maybe even offensive, but you would be surprised at how simple that is to overlook.) Are the hoses new and/or in good condition? When you bled the brakes, did you gravity bleed them? If you had someone pump the brakes, did they do it gently or did they rapidly ram the pedal and aerate the fluid.

Once you are sure the system is good, you can look at pedal travel and pressure. A small bore master cylinder will require more stroke to move the same amount of fluid as a larger bore cylinder. A larger bore master cylinder will require more pedal force to produce the same line pressure as a smaller bore cylinder. So you have to size the MC accordingly.

You can find a lot more info here:

http://www.mpbrakes.com/technical-support/reference.cfm
Old 04-29-2007, 02:02 PM

corvette master cylinder

Thanks REDSDAD ,that site is the one I use the most,when it comes to brakes.I even called the guys there but ti no satisfaction, To bleed the brakes I had the wife to help,YIKES,and told her to slowly depress pedal.I've had her help me numerous times bleeding brakes.The fire wall mount is very solid as to how it is hooked up.The pedal swings from the same solid mount that the cyl. is mounted to.The !" bnore may help,but ,I'll loose pressure.I'm about 6.4 to 1 so I'll have plenty of leverage. Thanks again, 35 Olds.,,,Yes I'm building a 1935 OLDS 3 Window coupe, Yes all 35 Olds coupe were 3 window, as were the pontiacs,you could get chevy in 3 or 5 widow units.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:26 AM

Last photo:

did you bench bleed the master cylinder before you put it on the car, 35olds?
Old 04-30-2007, 07:53 PM

Yes I did ,that is standard procedure,yhanks,35olds
Old 05-02-2007, 05:11 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Sounds like you have air in the lines to me...not too small of a MC.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:19 PM
C6, the C5 of tomorrow

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

too small a MC or too much pedal ratio can also make it feel soft.

I don't think you can use a disk/disk with disk/drum. drum brakes need much less pressure or something. I really think you need a diff MC

Using Mustang II brakes should be a known issue, what did MP bakes recommend?
Old 05-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427v8
I don't think you can use a disk/disk with disk/drum. drum brakes need much less pressure or something.
You're right about the pressure issue. However, the MC is just a pump. There are 3 main differences between a disc/disc and a disc/drum MC and peripheral equipment.

A master cylinder for a disc brake system usually has a larger reservoir for the disc brake circuit. A larger reservoir used for drums will not cause a problem.

Drum brakes require a residual pressure valve as I stated in an earlier post. You can purchase external residual pressure valves from several sources. Not using a residual valve on the drums could allow air to enter the drum hydraulic circuit. However, 35Olds says the rear is disconnected and blocked, so this shouldn't be an issue.

The lower pressure requirements of drum brakes are handled by the proportioning valve which is external of the master cylinder. It can either be a combi valve located under the MC or an adjustable unit mounted in the drum brake circuit.

IIRC, there may have been some dual bore size cylinders where the drum portion had a larger bore to compensate for the lower pressure requirements, but the proportioning valve is a much better solution, IMHO.

I hope you get this sorted out 35olds. Let us know how it is going.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.