Hot Rod Forum banner

Corvette rearend

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  30modela 
#1 ·
I would like to know if anyone has information on installing a Corvette rearend in a 1930 Model A coupe. I would like to install one in conjunction with a 32 style gas tank.

#4 ·
I saw some pics of someone building a rod on this site using a Corvette front and rear suspension in the last few days. I think it was probably in the Project Journals. I can't find it now. Sorry. You might try going through all the journals til you find it. That might take four or five weeks though. Maybe someone else remembers who it was.

#5 ·
30modela said:
I would like to know if anyone has information on installing a Corvette rearend in a 1930 Model A coupe. I would like to install one in conjunction with a 32 style gas tank.
Don't mean to come off like a S.A., but have you taken a look at any of the old Chilton's books, especially the ones concerning the Corvette. It should actually be a fairly simple installation. If it is a newer assembly, you can always get some pictures of a finished vette from most any car lot.
Older vette suspension has not changed very much to the newer models.
It wouldn't hurt if you got some pictures and took some measurements from another car. Hence you have all your information first hand. Make the measurements from the tail-shaft of the transmission. At least it will be a good start point and centerline of the set-up. This is how I find my needed information in critical knowledge. Research is always a good learning curve.

Have fun and make a party of it.

#7 ·
As a general rule ... most Corvette IRS are just too wide for a Model A ...
They are tight in a 32 Ford ... and a Model A is more narrow than a Deuce. Most Model A guys want a rear end that is 56 inches wide ... measured this way ...

Not saying it cannot be done ... :embarrass just be careful and keep your eyes wide open ...

:D

#8 ·
I know that I will need to shorten the axle shafts and the lower links in order to fit the frame. My biggest concern was having enough room to attach the frame work for the 32 style gas tank as well. I do have a 9 inch four link rear end on stand by if it gets too complicated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.