Corvette suicide doors? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2004, 08:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Corvette suicide doors?

Hey, I'm a new bee here. I was looking for some input on converting my `69 Corvette wagon back to a suicide door set up. I cant use the the universal design hinges because there is only about 6 to 8 inch's of semi straight jam post to fasten them to. All hinges I've seen seem to be narrow and if I might add some what flimsy for the length and weight of my doors. I was considering a very large (wide) single hinge, but is that going to be strong enough to hold such a long door and with all the weight on such a small area it might twist and tweak? Any leads or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Dennis

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2004, 09:29 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,118 Posts
Dennis, I have to be frank, sucide doors on a Vette is a rediculas idea in my not so humble opinion. That out of the way.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "UNIVERSAL" HINGES!

Any "universal" hinge you see are for a thin door like on a street rod. They will NOT work on a Vette without completely tossing the quack "universal" instructions and starting from scratch. At that point you would throw away the hinges and make new ones.

Suicide doors is an EXTREMELY COMPLEX PROJECT. Don't think it is just mounting some hinges on the wrong side. The doors strength is not there, it has to be reinforced in the rear (out of steal) this is usually difficult (read that VERY difficult without messing with the window channels. The quarter was not designed to hold the door either, again, SERIOUS supporting has to be done. If you think other modifications you have made in the past like headers, and stuff like that cause headaches you have no idea what you are up against.

This project is NOT for the faint of heart.

I know you have not asked for advice on whether to do it or not, but sometimes the best advice is not how to, but don't do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.