corvette suspension into 53 olds should i? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 07:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

corvette suspension into 53 olds should i?

I am trying to decide what would be the best choice for a suspension redo for the 53 olds 98 we have. I am considering a corvette front and rear. is this a good choice or am i barking up the wrong tree. We are planning this to be our long trip car and want comfort and safety in the ride. Anyone gone this route? Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2007, 11:39 PM
Crazier By The Minute

Last photo:

I had 81 Vette rear suspension on a 31 Ford coupe. It did not ride very good. Also I have owned 4 Corvettes the newest being a 79. None of them rode well either. I doubt if Corvette suspensions will be heavy enough to carry the weight of your vehicle. Bud
Old 01-20-2007, 01:48 AM

For some reason everyone thinks Corvettes are lightweight cars. Heck, a modern Firebird weighs more than a 57 Chevrolet 2door sedan. A 53 Olds may be a match for a Corvette. Check your title and see what the registration weight is, then check Corvette websites and see what they weigh. If the figures are within a couple hundred pounds either way and you like the idea..DO IT.

The suspension on the front of your car, rebuilt correctly would make a very nice driving and handling long distance cruiser. There should be some easy way to convert to modern disc brakes. Same in the rear though the springs (parallel leaves, yes?) may need replacing or at least rebuilding.

If that is not a go deal, a rear steer 68-74 Nova front clip may be the answer. Go for a 74 if possible, and don't just look under 2door cars either. We got a super nice disc brake, power steering clip from under a plain jane granny Deluxe 4door sedan.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:45 AM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

I'd rebuild the stock setup for a street car. The only thing you'd gain with balljoints would be anti-dive and that's not that big a deal.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:37 PM

More on 53 olds suspension

I am easily convinced! I have found a place to get what i need for the brakes and i think a steering upgrade can be had as well. The only concern i have is the original knee shock system. Has anyone run across a shock obsorber conversion for the front end? Thanks!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.