cosmetic surgery has begun - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 10:57 PM

Last journal entry: dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

haha, yes, exactly. It's usually too loud and dirty in the garage for her to spend much time poking around anyway lol, and since i'll be back at school in a few weeks I think she'll have time to cool down if she does see any problems haha.

Glad Jon's going to get your journal going soon. I might try and update mine a little tonight. be sure to let me know when it's going and all so i can check it out!

With any luck tomorrow I'll be ready to put the hood back on the truck, which means i should have the front end sheet metal all back together.

hotrod

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2008, 03:11 AM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

Get much done today? It was so hot here again. It finally rained some late this evening.

I am starting to update my journal. It is taking a while and I should have taken more pictures as I went. I will from now on.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:51 AM

Last photo:

sorry, i've been swamped lately getting stuff ready to go back to school. I have made some progress though. It's starting to look like a truck again!!! haha.

I have the front end sheet metal (except the hood) on the truck and i'm surprised that the lines all match up. It fits together better than it did when i took it apart. That's reassuring because getting all the panels to fit together nicely is one of the things i was worried about.

The roll pan on the front is probably the biggest change to the exterior. I was never happy with the "clunky" bumper that was on the truck when i got it so i closed up the holes where the frame came through, lobbed off the last few inches of the frame and ended up with a pretty clean looking frontend.

I also went ahead and took off the wheels and lowered the truck down to a "more reasonable" height. Something like what i hope i can get out of it when the new suspension goes in. As is it still sits a little higher than i wanted it, but i lowered the whole thing about 5.5 inches lol. Until i get the new springs and what not under it i can't really see how low it will be. It looks good lowered though. I'm not trying to make it scrape the pavement, but the way it sits now defiantly screams farm truck not comfortable cruiser. For once i can actually see the roof without jumping...

I think tomorrow I might try and get the hood ready to be mounted. I have one of the doors ready, but i can't hang that by myself so i'll have to wait until i have some help.

I haven't hit my journal in a while. It takes so long to make each entry that I usually wait until i have a bunch of free time and don't mind waiting. Yours is looking good! You weren't kidding when you said it had been a while since you updated it lol, i don't think i even had a journal that long ago haha. I'll have to sit down and add a few entries to mine. I wish they added themselves... Maybe i could hire someone to just hangout with me and take pictures and update my journal...

hotrod
Old 08-10-2008, 01:53 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Looking very nice!!!!
Old 08-10-2008, 12:11 PM

Last photo:

thank you much!
Old 08-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last photo:

That is looking good. Glad it is all fitting up well.

Are you sure it is legal up there to not run a front bumper? Down here a rear one is not required, but some sort of front one is. Just checking.

As far as the journal...yes it has been forever. I skipped a lot (forgot) when I was updating it that night. I have to go delete, add, change, etc and then continue on. OOPS!
Old 08-10-2008, 06:01 PM

Last photo:

I haven't really looked into the laws regarding the front bumper. It may not be, but at the same time I'm hoping that anyone who would stop me for it doesn't know enough about 57 fords to say any different. If worse come to worse I'll build up a bumper behind the roll pan and have the roll pan act as bumper cover, like on new cars.

I drove the truck around in Casper like that (we welded up the roll pan soon after i got the truck) and never got any grief. I think i might have problems is the holes for the bumper were still in the roll pan and i just didn't have one on it. I'll do some research and see what i can find out. last resort i could alway make a simple one that could bolt around the pan to take care of it.

Thanks for bringing that up though.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:19 PM

Last photo:

okay, well i looked up the PA vehicle code and it does say that the if the vehicle had front and rear bumpers originally it has to have them now, but I think i can get away with it since the truck doesn't look like i was supposed to have a bumper. I could i think put something, like C-channel behind the roll pan like a bumper and be able to get away with it that way. With that i think i could talk my way out of it if i were stopped, but of course i'm hoping that i don't get stopped.

And it says "on a highway" so i think around town there's nothing that can be said about it.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last photo:

Ahh ok. I just wondered. I knew it was not allowed around here. I drive mine everywhere though. I was in 4 states in one day a few weeks ago.

I do like the idea of something behind the roll pan. I would hate to go through all that work myself, just to barely bump somone (or something) and smash the whole front end.

Even hitting a dog in the wrong spot could do a lot of damage.

Just my opinion.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:56 PM

Last photo:

haha, yes, this is true, not something that i've thought about too much... Maybe i can rig something up with the push bar from the crown vice (providing it still has it on when i get it) for highway use. I just want to make the thing look clean. Plenty of time to play around with that later though.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:26 PM

Last photo:

Well, the summer is over for me. I head back to Penn State tomorrow morning. Didn't manage to get any more pictures but I did get the bed sandblasted, primed, and back on the truck. As well as the rear fenders and both doors. It's parked out by the garage under a new truck cover where it will sit until I get back home.

I think i made a fair amount of progress for one summer, and it was nice getting my hands dirty again.

Thanks especially to brian for reading my posts! I'll be back soon enough to work on the truck.

I'll be brainstorming all year so no worries about loosing my drive.

happy hotrodding,

hotrod

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.