Cost of bodywork? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007, 09:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cost of bodywork?

Ok, I'll be getting a '67 Mercury Montclair 390 soon, and it desperately needs some bodywork.

It has the typical rust-holes in the quarters and rockers, a few dents here and there, a bent rear bumper which I'll have to replace, and needs some attention in the trunk pan area. There aren't any holes there, but I'm afraid there would be if I tried to sand away the rust.

Other than this, the car is very straight and has never been wrecked.

My question is, if I send this to a good bodyshop for rust repair and paint, how much can I expect to pay? I want a good enough place that there won't be any future orange peel or any of that crap, but it doesn't need to be a show-winning paint job. I'm looking for roughly stock-looking paint with a clearcoat or 2 on top.

BTW, its white.

I'm not looking for quotes, just ideas so I know how much I need to save.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2007, 09:52 PM
"Ol' Ford Nut"

Last journal entry: New Truck
Last photo:

Well, I hate to say, but bodywork aint cheap anymore. I would like to see pics of your car. Are you planning on doing some of the work your self? It helps if you remove trim, handles, letters, badges, etc.

I have bout the same condition car here, was gonna remove and put everything on myself, i was gonna do all the disassembly, cleaning, etc. All I wanted done was the body done, with the paint prices it was gonna cost me around 2k. Mine is also Red. Your gonna pay a fairly steep price for good work. If you can do some of it yourself, it sure might help. Like they say, you get what you pay for. With a car like that, I would want it done very well, some of these guys on here can point you in the right direction on body work, may be a couple in or around your area that might can lead you in the right direction on a reliable shop. I hope you find one, I would like to see the finished product. Good Luck.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:49 AM

Last photo:

Yeah, I know bodywork ain't cheap these days, unfortunately. I'll post pics as soon as I can... the ones I have now don't show any rust, I'll have to take some close-ups. Of course, I can remove trim, etc, that's not all that difficult.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:27 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I am guessing that you want a "ball park figure" on that. It should be between $2000 and $35000. That's about as close as you can reasonably expect on the internet. It's almost like asking, "My car won't start. How much is it going to cost to fix it".

Aaron
Old 01-13-2007, 06:35 AM

Last photo:

it's a "catch 22"

you almost have to do all the grunt work* yourself anymore, to get a "fair" price.....and/or get it done in a reasonable length of time.....

any shop only has so many man hours to sell.....to tempting for many shops, when you have a huge back log of cars to do, to sell hours to the high bidder based on inflated quote pricing....some people do have more money than brains

so your local quotes are going to be a very wide range of prices or lead times to completion (just one ex: we are doing a car to a #2 level restoration for $12k/ 6months delivery.....another very good shop quoted $25k/ 1 year+ delivery for that same car)

you are going to find that only a few local shops will do a "overall" paint job on a old car...most do only insurance fender benders cause it is so profitable

go to some local car shows and ask who painted their car and would you recommend them

*it should be stripped to bare metal... the 67' original paint is enamel and it is shot...a dust mask, your drill, 80 grit disks, and 8-12 hours to strip the whole car to bare metal......JUST BE SURE you have a firm appointment to have it shot with epoxy as soon as it it is done
fair to good chance your "good" new paint job will fail somewhere (probably crazing, the old paint has no flex or adhesion left, any old filler will crack the new paint) if you don't strip it
Old 01-13-2007, 02:57 PM

Last photo:

Hmmm.... maybe I should learn how to do all that myself... I really don't want to wait a year for paint.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:31 PM

where you at?...

the shop i work at could probably have you done in 2-3 months. im sure there are other shops that can do the same. what state are you in?

~Tack
Old 01-13-2007, 04:03 PM

Last photo:

I live in Kitsap County, WA, which is across the water from Seattle.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:33 AM

Last photo:

Dr Fresh,
yes you can do it all to get it ready for metal work and filler and paint with just home tools

use the knowledge base link and search link above, 1,000+ "How to" articles and threads on how to do "A to Z" paint prep

to help figure out if you want to do it at all....practice on some pieces from a shop's scrap pile of bent fenders and parts

simple equation....the more you disassemble (interior, trunk/hood etc) and the more prep hours you put into it (door jams hand sanded, inside the trunk sanded etc) the happier you will be with the finished paint job.....and maybe most important....you know it was done right!
Old 01-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

Just a note:
I honestly doubt that doing it yourself will get it done quicker.
BUT,

car = $X
needed tools = @$2000
needed materials = @$4000
satisfaction of doing it yourself = priceless

*prices may very alot!

It will take you a while and cost you some heartache, headaches, and probably bodyaches. but, oh man, it feels so much better when your done. Maybe it won't be the nicest ride at the Sonic cruz day, but hey, you did it yourself!!
Old 01-14-2007, 02:40 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, it'll be awhile till I get around to actually doing that part of it, so hopefully by then I'll have the equipment and know-how to do a good job.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Paint and materials $ 2000

Body work, prep, spray, finish...... $ 40-60 hour x 100-150 hours.

If you can get someone to do it well (not show) for less than $ 7000 you are a winner.

Just 'cause Chip Foose does it in 6 days on TV..... 4 guys working for 3 days.... that is 300 hours......... :
Old 01-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Hey I am faced with the same situation here on my two 63s.

I had another car painted 6 years ago and the paint died last summer, and nobody, not even PPG, can give me a reasonable answer why.

Should I do it to 2 more cars?
Old 01-14-2007, 07:07 PM

Last photo:

Wow, sounds like it's gonna cost more than the value of the car totally restored....at least the interior is cherry and the motor doesn't need a rebuild.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:43 PM

paint died...

a good paint job should last over 10 years. you need to give them hell!!!

~Tack
(516) Drum Co.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.