Cost of a Hot Rod - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2006, 10:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cost of a Hot Rod

I always been into cars, from Muscle Cars to Hot Rods. I am Mopar guy and owned a few over the years but I always wanted to build my own Hot Rod. I always loved the funky T Buckets with the crazy tops on them. What is the average price on building one from scratch, give or take? I would be doing ALL the work myself.

BTW I have seen the post for plans on a T Bucket anyone still have a copy they could email me?

HMMM??? A T Bucket with a 392 Hemi sounds like a cool idea!!!!

Paul

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2006, 11:35 PM
youll see me sideways

Last photo:

$5,000,000.99 +/-$2.00

Last edited by h0trod389; 11-13-2006 at 11:36 PM. Reason: becauseiwantedtosucka
Old 11-14-2006, 02:09 AM
R Gassman

Last journal entry: 31 chevy Top on
Last photo:

t bucket plans

I still have a set on PDF that I can send you in the morning if you have not received them from someone else. email me your address and I'll send those out. BTW I just sold a glass T bucket body for $300.00 so don't give up hope.

Ron
Old 11-14-2006, 10:59 AM

The cost of a Tbucket is probably more variable than any of the other more conventional hot rods.
You could buy an old 4cyl. anything with points ignition, strip the drivetrain and everything else out of it, buy a glass body and bed/turtle deck, fab up a frame and put something together in 6 months or more for less than $5K. Scrounging and doing work yourself and trading labor etc for parts makes up a great savings in project cost.
You could buy an old Malibu with a V8, do the same thing and put together a car in 6 months or more for less than $5K.
The big expenses happen in the chrome shop(or in buying chrome accessories or chassis parts), the upholstery shop, and the paint shop. And, if you have to have steamroller rear wheels and tires, thats a good hit too.

So, $5K could get you in the driver's seat....or $25K if you lose sight of your goal and keep changing the plan. Let me say this, the guy who has the 4banger or 6cyl bucket with no chrome has just as much FUN as the guy who has the double-blown Hemi conversion on a big block Chevy with Jaguar rear suspension and all the expenses known to God and man spent on his car.

Tbuckets are fun, can be comfortable and good long distance runners, and with common sense and a tight budget can be built for less than a used car at the car lot can be bought.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:34 PM
T buckets rule

I am building my 3rd bucket. The first one cost about $5000 to build, doing all the work myself. This 3rd bucket I will have about $12,000 in it doing all the work myself. A good friend of mine has about $50,000 in his and he did none of the work himself. You can probably build one cheaper than 5 grand just depends on what ya buy new, what you all ready have and what you can do and have to hire done.

Come visit the National T Bucket Allinace BBs
http://www.nationaltbucketalliance.com/bb/

Nothing but T bucket talk and a wealth of T bucket info and lots of pictures.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Duck Tape & WD 40

Last journal entry: No more Vehicle
Last photo:

a lot more money than I have lying around, otherwise I would have one sitting in my garage right now.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:53 PM

Last photo:

41 Kustom

I'm 58 years old and been messin with cars all my life. I'v had a 34 Ply sedan for 27 years and don't have 15K in it. Don't think its a piece of ****, I;v won a few trophy's with it.But it is a driver. I'v built other cars and am currently doing a 41 Buick custom, hence my name. My son and I just took the body of the frame last night. I don plan on having 5K in the whole thing just to prove it can be done. The guys in my club say a beginner can't do something like that because they don't have the experience. I did'nt either but I learned because I wanted to. If you join a club and let them know you are serious, one of them may have a old project thay are not going to do and may let you have it cheap. At the least they may have parts you need, cheap if not for free. Just some food for thought. Feel free to contact me.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:36 PM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentlion_69
a lot more money than I have lying around, otherwise I would have one sitting in my garage right now.
The thing about building a car is don't get in a rush. Buy good deals when they come a long and pass if they don't. Buy or build one thing then the next. Going to build a t bucket get a body. Then build a frame to fit it. A good used engine and trans from a wrecked donor car works perfect. The first one I did I already had a truck that was rusted away and used the drivetrain form it. It takes me about 5-6 months to build a bucket, just in my spare time. If I can help just shoot me an email. tbucket@comcast.net
Old 11-14-2006, 07:25 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

The cost of building a rod is about a billion dollars and your soul so beware
Old 11-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

If you don't count materials, time and consumables, You can build one for FREE

But like weirdbeard said, you still need to give it your soul.

Mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 11-15-2006, 07:51 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If you have to ask...you don't need it. If you don't need it ....it will be more fun.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:16 PM

Last journal entry: It's getting there
Last photo:

Cost of a Hot Rod

It's all about expectations my friend. What is it you expect to have when you are through. Wow ! that was a stupid statement ..... you will never be through until you sell it or trade it.

After awhile, it will take on a life of its own.

Happy motoring.

p.s. I'm in the throws of putting together a '41 Chevy Coupe. I've changed my expectations a couple of times already.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:30 PM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:

As I've told people in the past- if you do it yourself and have a good plan, it can be done cheaper than expected. I have a little over $6000 in my Henry J.. yes six thousand. I did all body, paint, electrical, interior, mechanical,etc. The biggest cost is rebuild kits, wheels and tires and the stereo. Speedway has T-bucket kits but shop around- swaps are GREAT places to take somethung off someone else's hands for small $$$. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2006, 09:44 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

If you want a T-bucket for cheap, look on ebay. Many of them don't even bring the price of the components. If you do all of the work yourself and shop around, you should be able to do it for cheap. If you credit card the thing with all prefab components, you might as well buy one already built. Check in the latest edition of R&C for some good direction on basic starter packages and for some frame building tech.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:28 PM

Last journal entry: Kinda showing off
Last photo:

Like the others said it is all relative. My first one cost $2200.00 without chrome or upholstery, with it was $5500. This last one has about $10,000 so far and if you look at my journal you can see its got a ways to go. My son is doing one now and he is trying to keep the cost to under $3500.00. I think we can make it but it won't look anything like mine ( like no paint, chrome, fancy wheels ect). Biggest thing is decide what you want, find some good deals, and give it your best shot. Ebay has a guy that builds a perimeter frame with some brackets for around $300.00 another guy has radius front and rear with brackets for $100.00 per set. We just ordered another body from Sprit and with shipping it was $500.00. As you can see it adds up quick. And a side note we ordered the materiel to make the radius bars and it was $200.00 and we still have to make them.
Best of luck
Randall

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.