Cost No Object Interior Dye and Process - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 12:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cost No Object Interior Dye and Process

Greetings.

I have spent at least 5 hours going through the search functions and reading old threads about plastic dye brands and application processes, etc...

A lot of brands seem to be discussed and no one has ever mentioned a "definitive" brand that is "the best of the best".

I have some plastic interior panels that are currently grey that need to be re-dyed.

I want to do it right the FIRST Time. I am NOT Cost Sensitive or Time Sensitive. I want it to last a long time, not scratch and look OEM Factory.

Question Number 1: SEM and Color Bond seem to come up a lot (www.bryndana.com)
Is one better than the other???

Question Number 2: I know Dupont or Sherwin Willians can make up plastic dye for you if you go to their paint store. I seem to remember a thread on here that mentions one of them having a special plastic paint that has more "bite" to it than the aerosols in the can. For the life of me, I cannot find that thread. I am happy to go to a paint store and have them make me special plastic dye if it will last a long time, not fade, scratch, etc...

Question Number 3: I understand prep is important, removing old finish and scuffing panels really well. Any other tips?

Please, I would like to have responses from seasoned pros that have done some R&D time with this and have real world experiences.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 12:49 PM

Dyes

In the restoration hobby Leatherique & Color Plus seem to be the two horse best-in-class. I've used both and they work beautifully in leather & vinyl. I'd start with their websites and they are really helpful folks if you call them.

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

SEM products are by far the best with hard plastics, as far as I'm concerned. They have a whole system of the correct products to do the job right the first time. It is very easy to use. As far as hard plastics go, make sure you use an adhesion promoter. That will draw the dye right into the plastic. There are different adhesion promoters for different plastics, so make sure you get the right one for the plastic you're working on.

You can get SEM from www.vinylpro.com. These people are very nice and will talk to you on the phone to answer your questions.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 08-25-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill
In the restoration hobby Leatherique & Color Plus seem to be the two horse best-in-class. I've used both and they work beautifully in leather & vinyl. I'd start with their websites and they are really helpful folks if you call them.

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.
I am talking about hard plastic. Not leather or vinyl. Have any additional thoughts?
Old 08-25-2010, 06:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
SEM products are by far the best with hard plastics, as far as I'm concerned. They have a whole system of the correct products to do the job right the first time. It is very easy to use. As far as hard plastics go, make sure you use an adhesion promoter. That will draw the dye right into the plastic. There are different adhesion promoters for different plastics, so make sure you get the right one for the plastic you're working on.

You can get SEM from www.vinylpro.com. These people are very nice and will talk to you on the phone to answer your questions.

And you would still go this route if you were not cost or time sensitive?

Is this a better solution than the PPG / Dupont / Sherwin Williams approach?

Thanks for any additional thoughts and ideas on the subject.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Frankly I would say get some of the top rated brands and try them on something you can experiment with to see if it gives the result that you like..there are just too may variables in the application to give a definitive answer..

Sam
Old 08-25-2010, 08:40 PM

Last photo:

I was hoping to hear collective wisdom from old timers that had walked down that path before me.

I would rather not invent the wheel. And any testing that I would perform would be of limited value since I don't know how to replicate 5 to 10 years of trim panel wear, UV exposure, etc... in a short time frame lab test.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by H1LM002G55
And you would still go this route if you were not cost or time sensitive?

Is this a better solution than the PPG / Dupont / Sherwin Williams approach?

Thanks for any additional thoughts and ideas on the subject.
As far as I am concerned, yes. Use all the SEM products they recommend for cleaning, prepping, and coloring of hard plastic and you'll end up with a perfect job, even if you've never done this before. This will not look like it's been painted, if you follow the steps, it will look just like the plastic came that color. Call the people at Vinyl Pro. They will walk you right through the process. If they won't I will fax you the instruction sheet for hard plastic, or here it is off the SEM web site: CLICK HERE

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 08-26-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:11 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

First, let me state categorically that I do not know squat about paint, body, or interior.

That said, I had occasion to need to dye a dash of a '81 Camaro, from blue to black.

Never did any such thing before. I used SEM (only because that was what was readily available- not because of any online recommendations, this was pre-interweb, anyway).

I followed the directions to a "T", using the "primer" spray, and the results were outstanding, even if I say so myself.

The dye job held up through 8 FL/GA summers before being sold, parked in the open, w/o fading. There was ZERO issue w/adhesion, chipping, scratching, etc. It was almost as though the dye had become a part of the plastic itself.

So, if my experience is any indication of what you can expect, I would recommend it w/o hesitation.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.