Cost of paint... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2008, 10:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cost of paint...

I found the perfect color for my Dart. I had a gallon of base made up yesterday. This morning went to prep for a day of spraying. I had a box that had a gallon of sealer, a gallon of the base and two can of Total Prep sitting on the hood. I went to take out the cans and as I lifted one of the gallon cans, the box started sliding off the hood. I had a 50/50 chance of it being the $60 gallon of sealer vs the $175 gallon of color. I lost...

Now, that $175 gallon has inflated to $350! Went back for my jobber to mix another gallon, and they were out of the pearl...now I have to wait another week before spraying....I bummmmmed out. Kinda draggin butt...but I'll be fine after a few brewskies.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2008, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

Dang the bad luck!

Stuff happens

What are you using for clear? Where are you painting the car at..in your garage?

It always helps to prove your point when you post pictures....takes us there with you. Would love to see your project.

Steve
Old 07-19-2008, 12:49 PM

Last photo:

pix...

Project pix...were posted here:

Pix of my aborted AE...going with bc\cc

I will take some pix of the spill...what's left of it. I used my pressure washer to try to get it up. The clear that I have is from a car show vendor who I believe sells on ebay as well. It's a universal urethane clear, I believe the brand is Extreme or Xtreme. I just mixed the dab of base that was left in the can and sprayed the top half of a fender for testing. I will spray this clear on it to see how it does. I guess now is the time to find out if it's worthy of putting on top of $175 a gallon base. I paid $75 for a gallon of this clear with a pint of hardner at the show.

Any one ever used it?
Old 07-19-2008, 02:18 PM

Last photo:

Pix of spill added...plus a test spray

I sprayed the remaining paint...which was about 5 or 6 ounces. Just to test how the clear (extreme brand) would react with the Dimension brand base. The color is a little darker than I thought but I still like it.

I will be sanding off the test area and sealing the whole car before spraying next Friday. I looking forward to the end of this paint project and moving on to the next one. Learning by doing....lol. But this was an expensive lesson.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010005.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	31337   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010007.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	31338   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010013.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	31339   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010015.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	31340  
Old 07-19-2008, 04:26 PM

Last photo:

Mix it up

Oh man, now I can FEEL your pain!

If you have any remaining paint and plan on using it, suggest you mix the two before spraying. They may not have got the mix just right. Also, you can always have them lighten it a shade or two.

Steve
Old 07-19-2008, 05:58 PM

Last photo:

left over...

I used the drip that did not spill on the fender. I think its darker because it all spilled. I can't see the flake in it at all. The formula had two sizes of flake and lots of pearl. So much that the jobber used it all in this gallon and had to order more.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
I remember the paint store guys telling me about a guy who had driven off with a gallon of paint that fell over and opened on the carpet of his car! Now that cost him some bucks!

But like "My therapy buddy" says "Everything is going to be all right" (click here)

I like colors that you don't have to explain. You know the ones, "Well, it's a bluish goldish tan color". That color you have picked, that mutha's GREEN!.

Brian
Old 07-19-2008, 08:43 PM

Last journal entry: T'Bird projectr
Last photo:

OWWWW!!! I feel for you. Here's an even more depressing story:

Several years ago, I was painting my '59 'Bird. Candy Black Cherry, using Dupont candy. New (at the time) formula. Got all the stuff, shot the Black pearl base coat, per tech sheet. Waited, shot the candy. Lifted and wrinkled like laquer over enamel. In horror, I called the paint counter. "Duh" was the reply, followed by, "Park it out in the sun for a while". Not good.

Called the Dupont tech line. Another "Duh". Called back, got another guy who said, "Which catalyst did you use?" I said, "Duh, what catalyst?" He says, "Oh, we have a new bulletin out on this, you have to use DX61 (or something like that), the tech sheet is wrong." "You'll have DA all the basecoat off and start over."

That cost me over 800 bucks, not counting my time. I did get it painted, and a couple of years ago somebody backed into me at work in the parking lot and caved in the RR quarter. It's currently mothballed, waiting for a new paint job....

Brian
Old 07-19-2008, 08:46 PM

Last journal entry: T'Bird projectr
Last photo:

Therapy Buddy!!! LMAO at that Oh man, that's funny!!! I'm embar****ed to admit I saw that show
Old 07-20-2008, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

I would have let the paint dry on the concrete and then put a clear epoxy over it so I never forgot it.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.