Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Cost of a Paintjob
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2005, 02:05 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by pistolgrip
I can honestly say that the quality of the paint job would be close to a show job as I have painted many of my own cars and have been complimented numerous times on how well the paint turned out and then they ask who painted it. Most people can't believe that I was the one who painted the car and the next thing I hear "Can you paint mine?" I believe in taking a little more time for that perfect job than trying to rush things. I just find out that people normally don't understand why it takes so long and don't appreciate how much work that goes into a great paint job.
You sound like me...I'm constantly having people ask me to paint their car, but most nearly faint when I quote them a price. That's why I rarely paint cars for anyone except myself or my family. I really love it when people say "why do you charge so much when Maaco, Earl Schieb, etc. only charge $200 - $300". Places like that usually use a lower grade of materials and buy in bulk so their costs are much lower. Their prices wouldn't cover a fraction of the cost of materials alone for a custom paint job. I'm just about to finish a 1966 F100 for my dad and we have nearly $1500 in materials alone and more hours of work than I can count. This truck wasn't really intended to be a show truck, but I had some things I was wanting to experiment with and his truck happened to be in the shop at that time so one thing lead to another and it's days as a work truck are over now.

Anyway, it sounds like you're trying to determine how much to charge for labor and are not concerned with materials cost. This is tough because no two jobs are the same so it would be hard for anyone to say how much you should charge. Only you can decide what you think your time is worth and how much time you will spend on this project. Once you've done that, then quote your friend a price. Good luck!