Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - costs and how long it lasts
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 12:06 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdcrash
Hi everyone, This is my first post. I just bought a plasma cutter from an old guy a couple of doors down. Im not a proffesional so I have questions - the extra part that that is needed is the consumables? How long do these last and what are the costs....Thanks, hdcrash
  • how much and how long it lasts
There are tips, electrodes, shield cups and gas diffusers that will need periodical replacement. All of these parts are considered to be the "consumables", i.e. they will be "consumed" or used up during the cutting operation.

The price of these parts and the frequency they get changed depends on many things like the material being cut, the speed of the cut, the amperage/voltage the cutter is set at, the duty cycle, the cut rating, how the cuts are made (technique), thickness, etc., so there's no real way to answer your question exactly. But generally, the tips will go from maybe a half hour to 3 hours, depending- but this is a generality at best.

Probably should also mention that you need a decent compressor, even a smaller cutter will use a compressor capable of 4.5 cfm at 90 psi inlet pressure. Bigger cutters obviously will use more, so check the specs of your unit.