Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - this could get ugly. pontiac/frankenstein
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 08:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

thanks,
i picked up a 67 cougar about a year ago that the guy claimed he e-built the engine then just parked it for four years.
he had installed the two front cam bearings wrong he also had a cam with less lift than a stock cam.
i used a comp ex256 and was happy enough with it. it wasn't quite as "lopey" as i would have wanted.
larry should have the motor out today. i'm lucky, i work about 70 hours a week but i'm kind of my own boss. i can get by once he has it out and see what's really going on.
previous owner claims 5000 miles on the build but larry says less. i'm thinking that the "build" may have just been a valve job or something.
from what history i do have on the car it has a 400 tranny from a 76 trans am.
no indication that an aftermarket stall was put in it.
so, what cam would you suggest? i think i've read ex274 is good.
i'm not planning on doing any racing or any burn outs. i'm fine with a stock stall. the engine has a decent lope now and i'd like to keep that sound.
idles around 650 rpm if i remember right and doesn't struggle at a red light.
i'm going to get off topic. coming back home with it i was going what i think was around 70 and truning almost 3000 rpm. supposedly this thing has 293 gears. that doesn't sound right to me. is it just because i'm forgetting it's a 3 speed transmission making me think those rpm's are high?
thanks for the good information. keep it coming. i ordered the book, by the way.