could i make a rochester quadrajet 850 cfm into a street strip carb?? Suggestions? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2011, 09:26 PM
mr mighty mouse

Last journal entry: shes dropped!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

could i make a rochester quadrajet 850 cfm into a street strip carb?? Suggestions?

it was the question i have pertaining to the roch/quad 4 barrel i have, i have like 3 of these things, and was wandering if i can make it a lil more 'mild' like a double pump but that i believe wouldnt be streetable, due to the fact the back venturis are huge, and i dont know if those are venturis, just a big and triangled shaped. I dont know carbs, but i would like to know more of them. Heard great things about these carbs all over, if you have any knowledge on these 'built' and what you would call the back barrels, that would be kool. Also, what would be recomended on the jet size for mild quad. Ive studied these carbs, i dont like the vac secondary at all, just shuns me away, been looking for a more mild straight forward kind of carb like the double pump but i also would like to tweek one of these quadrajets due to there steetable mild manner... Just want a quadrajet i can poke around with if that makes it any more clear, mechanical settings and all that for the back barrels. Thanks for any suggestions you could help me with, ive had never heard of such thing but would like a fully adjustable, mechanical quadrajet...

Advertisement

Last edited by chevy302builder18; 11-05-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 09:52 AM

Not sure what you want .Many books out there on Qjets and many companies that modify them.Not sure how you would make them a double pumper.There is a q jet that was rated at 850,may have been off a Oldsmobile
Old 11-06-2011, 10:49 AM

Last photo:

Get yourself a copy of Cliff Ruggles QJet Book, it will show you everything you need to know on how to rebuild and modify the QJet.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:10 PM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FmrStrtracer
Get yourself a copy of Cliff Ruggles QJet Book, it will show you everything you need to know on how to rebuild and modify the QJet.
will do^.
How many cfms you think these stock chevy ones are rated at?
Old 11-06-2011, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy302builder18
will do^.
How many cfms you think these stock chevy ones are rated at?
Depending on the year, they are 750 or 800cfm
Old 11-06-2011, 05:12 PM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

thank you guys for the replys, i found out that i could make em flow that by fileing off the tabs that stop that back butterflys from opening up to 80 degrees... Ill have to check into the years they were made tho, but pretty sure these are the correct ones bc they arent electric...
Old 11-06-2011, 05:49 PM

Last photo:

If you are talking about the secondary air valve(top of carb) they flow better not fully open. The actual butterflies on the secondaries may need adjustment to get them fully open. I adjusted the secondary air valve on my Quadrajet on my Olds 455 and it is a very smooth transition from the primaries to the secondaries. No bog or lag just instant acceleration. The adjustment I did was the tension on the air valve that controls the opening rate of the secondaries. I only had to adust maybe a 16th of an inch and no more bog when going to full throttle. The Q-jet is my favorite carb when tuned properly. I believe Cliff's Quadrajets can build to your engine's specs.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:30 PM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455olds
If you are talking about the secondary air valve(top of carb) they flow better not fully open. The actual butterflies on the secondaries may need adjustment to get them fully open. I adjusted the secondary air valve on my Quadrajet on my Olds 455 and it is a very smooth transition from the primaries to the secondaries. No bog or lag just instant acceleration. The adjustment I did was the tension on the air valve that controls the opening rate of the secondaries. I only had to adust maybe a 16th of an inch and no more bog when going to full throttle. The Q-jet is my favorite carb when tuned properly. I believe Cliff's Quadrajets can build to your engine's specs.
yes i do believe this, but i like a lil hands one, ive got like three to "Do it myself". How will i do so ill have to look into the unlocking the potential. That book suggested should help unless somebody would like to help me with it, im up for any suggestions. Its just the secondarys id like to enhance. Id like to get 750 cfm, its going on top of a 400 cube inch small block chevy.
O and i was wanting to ask if anyone knows how to identify an edelbrock Torker or Torker 2 by looking at it? A guy has one and wanted to give it to me for dirt cheap but all it says is |Torker| imprinted on it
looks pretty wicked
Old 11-08-2011, 02:11 AM

Last photo:

If it only has Torker, it's a Torker. Torker 2 has "Torker II" cast on it.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:50 AM

Last photo:

I can't remember where I found my info but it is easy to adjust the opening rate of the secondaries. My carb is a '76 model on a 455 Olds so it will support a 400 easy
Old 11-08-2011, 10:35 AM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

ok i was geussing it was the first torker cause it also says "Pat Pend" and 455 i think ill have to listen to you about the secondaries if your up to schooling me. O and geuss ill have to buy an adapter for my torker cause thats what the qjets going on... 75 dollars you cant beat for an intake
Old 11-08-2011, 01:31 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy302builder18
A guy has one and wanted to give it to me for dirt cheap but all it says is |Torker| imprinted on it
looks pretty wicked
Pass on that intake. ALL it has going for it is it's lightweight and will clear a 'Vette hood.

EDIT- $75.00!! It wouldn't be a good deal at $10.00!!!
Old 11-09-2011, 02:44 AM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Pass on that intake. ALL it has going for it is it's lightweight and will clear a 'Vette hood.

EDIT- $75.00!! It wouldn't be a good deal at $10.00!!!
wait why isnt the torker that valueble? Whats wrong with it??
Old 11-09-2011, 02:20 PM
33 Pontiac 3W Sport Coupe

The Torker intake was more of a drag racing intake. Great for making HP in the higher RPM and had a square open plenum design. For a street motor you'd be happier with a duel plane plenum intake. The Quadrajet carb will require a spread-bore mounting. To bolt it to the Torker you would need an adapter raising the carb making more plenum volume and hurting your low end grunt even more.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:42 PM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRTS33
The Torker intake was more of a drag racing intake. Great for making HP in the higher RPM and had a square open plenum design. For a street motor you'd be happier with a duel plane plenum intake. The Quadrajet carb will require a spread-bore mounting. To bolt it to the Torker you would need an adapter raising the carb making more plenum volume and hurting your low end grunt even more.
see this is what i wanted it for. The torker could be tamed as of 400 cubes. The torker was meant for a 350 to zip to 7000, but probably be more suffiecient flow for the 400 cube large port bowtie vortec engine to create nominal power. I used my imagination and would like to geuss that intake to head port would be Suffecient and it would breath well under edelbrock Qjet or Qjet stock. Perfect example. My cousin has 80s late 70s cheyanne with the 400 cubic inch small block, has an even wilder wieand team g with a 750 edelbrock carb sittin atop. Thing has loads and gobs of torque. 278 Hydraulic flat tappet comp cam. Wheels wont stay planted for one second and there big. Its a scary fun ride. I drove it and throttle response was neck snapping. Now this intake is smaller.. Sits under a vette hood just right. And it is way smaller than this?? I think this experience + imagination is probably right on the dot
going with my gut on that one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	400 sbc.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	59564  

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.