Could you put a V-twin in a tiny car? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2007, 09:10 PM
70 Chevelle SS 396

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wow- that sounds like one cool buggy You must have a ton of hours into it. Makes ya appreciate it that much more don't it!

What about an ATV trans/eng?? Some of those have reverse, and V-twins. The gearing may be in question though... Probably a little low for any street driven vehicle.
I wonder how well a Polaris ranger driveline, or similar, would hold up in a micro-car... Hmmm...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2007, 10:06 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Well we used some over the counter stub axels that were supposed to be unbreakable. haha the first light touch ont he throttle twisted them right off. We now have some real axels that we designed on CAD and I ran real stress analysis on them.

Last night for a test I got on a paved road and ran the 954 up to 10,500 in first and dropped the clutch. It just burned rubber all the way thru 1st and most of 2nd. I did this twice. Then for a shock test I started about 5 feet on the gravel and hit the pavement flat out in 1st. It carried the front wheels all the way across smoking the tires. Shades of funny car days. Really brought back the memories. ahah I did this twice too. Then we ran about 50 miles again nearly flat out on the bumpy gravel or at least as fast as bugs permitted. A quick inspection of the drive stub axels shows them to be like new. Don't let these bike motors fool you. They can make some real hp and rpm besides.

To answer your thought...I don't think there is an ATV drive that could handle this abuse. Possibly a big snowmobile drive. The thing is they are relatively heavy and take up a lot of room. You wear this buggy not ride on it so interior room is at a premium.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:46 PM

V-Twin in Small Car?

There is a company out there that is already fitting Honda V-Tech engines into old body Austin Minis. Can you believe! Upwards of 180+HP in a car that weighs 1300-1400lbs. The Legends Race Cars are using a Yamaha 1200cc, 135hp stock engine in a race car chassis that weighs about 800-900lbs. Any Harley Engine would take up to much room from front to rear if mounted in a FWD chassis as compared to a sideways mounted four banger. If you wanted to mount the Harley Engine sideways to it's normal direction, then you have the trouble of adapting to a fore/aft transmission to make it work in a RWD chassis. It wouldn't be worth the effort or cost involved. Not to mention the initial cost of purchasing a Harley Davidson motor. Unless you have a crashed bike that you want to build a project car out of, I can't see that it would make sense using a Harley powerplant unless you want to build something unique for show puposess. Why not sell the Harley engine for the big bucks that you can get for it and invest the money in building the project car that you really want to build? Yours, westfaliaguy.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:19 AM
70 Chevelle SS 396

Last photo:

Now THIS is cool!! This company makes kits for Mini motorcycle engine conversions.
Check out this "hayabuser" powered Mini

http://www.zcars.org.uk/videos/winmedia/black.wmv
Old 05-15-2007, 12:55 AM

Bike Engined Car!

These "Hyabusa" powered cars are a result of a running competition between Japanese bike manufacturers to build the fastest "Street Legal Bike" . The manufactures came to an agreement in about 2005 in the sake of safety to give up this challenge. You can buy a crankcase sump to make the "Hyabusa" engine usable in a street driven car application if you are converting one. I have an article in "Grassroots Motorsports" that has a Honda V-Tech engine installed in the rear of an old generation Austin Mini. I'm sure that any motor can be fitted in any engine compartment if enough time and money is spent! There is a kit to fit a 460ci Ford big block in a Fox bodied ford product! This includes Fairmont's and Zeypher's. I have a build sheet here that you can use to make a 534cu Big Block Ford engine that makes enough torque to reverse the rotation of the earth but still idles like a 302! Talk about a "Q Ship"! Yours, westfaliaguy.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:41 AM
70 Chevelle SS 396

Last photo:

You're absolutely right, Westie. You can stick almost any engine in any auto- with enough money and time, etc. For instance, the Dodge Tomahawk- Viper V10 powered motorcycle. And I have seen a Morris Minor with a 455ci at the local car show
Old 05-15-2007, 02:21 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

I looked at this kit thing for the Hayabusa in the Mini. Really it would be much easier to simply build a tubing chassis and mount the bare sheet metal body to it. You could retain opening doors but the rest of it would be much simpler to just use Duzs fastners, body sheet metal, and be done with it.
In any case this is just like building a race car similar to a pro stock. Not as complex but still all custom. A big problem is the rear end and transmission. These need to be small and compact but have some hp rating or you will bust them. Remember these motors have about 175 hp stock.

You need a reverser. This can be an electric starter motor conversion but it still is kinda complicated and you will need some machine work. This is a flakey way to do it but it works for reverse only and gently. The jack shaft and center transmission with independent a-arms like we used is almost all fabrication and only a small amount of machine work. But you need some engineering savy to do it right. The chain is over $125 and you will need 2 of them. Same with the front end. You can use ATV spindles with some modifications like brakes and relocated drag links. It goes on and on. It can become a real money pit as everything will be custom. I don't think you could do it for less than 15k not counting the motor and body.

You will need some serious car building skills, very good welding skills, preferably TIG welding, a Tig welder, a good drill press, good saw, possibly a band saw, a very good hand drill, good 5 in grinder. Well stocked tool box. Just for starters.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:54 AM
be a man dodge tree bark!

Last photo:

bricklens , morgans, duestch bonnet, cetrons, and more recently the T rex and such others...smart cars with hiyabusa engines ....
yes you can an cheaply... alot of scca dsr racers use drive sytems that are easily adaptable to a street car.. qauife is making lsd final drives really cheap..
but if you were serious please don't use a v twin use something that will make power and torque... and you can control the cooling system.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:22 PM

Last photo:

Do you guys know of anyone that has made a legend car street legal?
Old 05-15-2007, 02:14 PM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:

I posted here awhile back and even talked to several shops about building a chopped glass body bobbed fender straight axle 32 Ford and use a 4 banger with 5 speed overdrive as a daily car. Hmmm, everyone then said I was nuts, put a 350 crate motor or big block for re-sale value I was told by all.

This was to be a daily car not a re-sale car. I got so frustrated with the two local rod shops I gave up on the idea. They kept trying to quote me a show car, I wanted a cheap basic driver.

Should have built it myself, I'd have it by now laughing as I passed the pumps everyday.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:41 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

You could probably check out the rat rod technology. They like to do things on the cheap but practical.
I'd be into doing something like that for somebody. It's just expensive to have it done. In other words you need to do as much as you can by your self. This will be a good place to post questions however.

I didn't answer your question about ledgen cars. Haven't seen any. There are a few guys making sand rails street legal. It usually involves fenders, mufflers, glass, turn sig, the normal stuff. Roughly like a bucket T. Most states have streetrod registration which is limited use. You may have to check your local DMV for rules.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:53 PM
70 Chevelle SS 396

Last photo:

After seeing all the 4 cylinder motorcycle conversions (a lot of 'em on that site linked earlier in this thread), I think it would be a better way to go. Although the v-twin would have a definate coolness factor- Like seriousracer said, the other motorcycle engines can make a deal more HP and TQ- and being watercooled is a plus.

What kind of special equipment would you need to do a tube chassis?? Obviously a pipe bender, welder, etc. But would you need to build a jig of some kind to square it all up, or what? I've always wanted to tackle something like that Looking at the bolt-in subframe from Zcars, for the mini conversion- it doesn't look very complicated. Lots of figuring, but doesn't look difficult to fab if you have the right tools and parts.

Nooj
Old 05-15-2007, 10:55 PM

Bike Engined Car!

I'm impressed with the discussion that lumberjacknooj has started with this line of inquirery! There must be 100's of web sites out there that address the conversion of bike engines into existing car chassis and hand built cars that use bike engines. There might be no end to it if one wants to keep on searching! Enough for me for now! I'll limit my program to putting a 400SBC in my 74 VW Westfalia. That's why my name! Have fun with your future vehicular customs. I'll stay with my current project! Yours, westfaliaguy.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:28 PM

Lots of engines out there.

Yamaha has a 1700 cc 45 degree vt., kawasaki has a 2000 cc vt 48 degrees I think. Honda has a six cylinder and using their transmission and starter setup you would even have a reverse. Having a belt drive auto would be different. But the belts are very good now and I don't think you would have any problems with them. That's an interresting concept, and I am going to check out the link above myself. 3.22 a gallon where I live and I own a hot rod, a ford pick up and a big cruiser motorcycle. Maybe put something like that in a golf cart.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:54 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

Check my post above for basics. As for a jig or table, a steel welding table that is level is very handy. It doesn't have to be very big, just so you can clamp to it and it is sturdy. That's what we use. We also bulid temporary jigs and fixtures out of particle board and super glue from the hobby shop. For example we made control arm boards and took them over to the bending shop. He used them to exactly form the bends. All we had to do was notch them and cut them to size. I even used them for clamping while welding. We actually designed these on Cad and everything fit perfect. No junk in the dumpster as a result of miss fits. We tried some bends done off our cad geometry at another shop but they were too expensive. They fit but just too much $$$. For what we have in bending dollars and it is a lot of bends we can't justify a good bender. We tried the cheap ones and they suk in a word. I don't feel like filling tubing with sand and sealing and packing just to get a kink anyway. Pipes fine but not 4130 tubing.

The neat thing about these building boards is we just cut them up and burn them in the bondfire. I suppose you burn them in the fire place too. No angle iron to cut up and they are very cheap.

Mainly you need to be good with a tape measure and have a little knowledge of geometry to establish lines.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.