Couple of bc/cc questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010, 10:31 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Couple of bc/cc questions

I have a 01 suzuki sv650 that I am painting 3 colors, red, black, and silver. I have been working on getting all of the body work and primering done, and last night I laid my first color down (black). Well i had a couple of mishaps... One of my pieces fell off of the hanger to the floor while I was putting on the 2nd coat... and I had some runs on the nose piece. I was wondering how long I should wait till sanding. I am using Nason paint with the mid temp reducer. I set the parts outside that needed sanding today to help bake them dry (95 today) so I can hopefully sand and respray tonight.

This brings me to my second question. Since I have to wait overnight to put tape on the black, so I can lay my red, and then another night so I can tape and lay my silver(barring no more problems...), This puts me at 4 days between laying the first black and then clearing. I know this is too long, but how else can this be resolved? I thought about laying down another coat on everything tonight, to 'reset' the clock, but is it worth it?

Thanks,
Nick

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2010, 04:15 PM

Last photo:

If you just have on basecoat, and no clear yet, and its been 4 days, I would scuff up your base, and lay another coat of black or a coat if intercoat clear, if your still within the 24 hour window where it wouldn't need to be scuffed first.
Really not that hard, if its not overly complicated scheme with a ton of taping. Usually only a few hours maybe with basecoat before you can tape off your first color and spray your second. Think nason might be something like maybe 4 hours tape time. This is another place that a good basecoat helps, since the tape time is usually shorter, for say a good polyester base, vs a slower enamel based, along with the event of a mess up where you need to sand and repair a spot in the base before continuing.

You have 24 hours since your last coat applyed of your first color to get clear on it all (not sure what nason gives for time frame, not using there base, but this is typical time frame of most basecoats I've used).

You can also spray an intercoat clear, which is basically just basecoat without pigment in it, to extend your window and give yourself 24 more hours. Say you got your first two colors sprayed, but your running out of time to get clear on within the window (your first color you sprayed by this point has been sitting awhile). You could spray a coat of intercoat clear over the works, and now you have 24 hours from the time you sprayed that to get the last color taped off and sprayed, and your first coat of clear on everything. You just gave yourself a new 24 window, and the time you sprayed your first color is out of the picture, because you just layed your intercoat clear over that too, if that makes any sense.

Another thing I would have possibly did different is to spray the black last, and probably the silver first. Not sure what your particular paint scheme is, and how your proceding.

You usually want to spray the color which will be easiest to get coverage over with your other colors first. I can see getting full coverage over black with a red-which normally isn't the greatest hiding color, possibly being difficult, at least where the black underneath isn't going to affect the final color or make it darker then it would be.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:19 PM

Last photo:

Hey, so I finally got everything painted and cleared. I had some major orange peel going on the first time I sprayed the clear (3 coats at night... so higher humidity). So I wet sanded it flat with 600 the next day and then sprayed 2 or 3 coats on each part. It seemed to laying very flat, bet there is some orange peel still. I wet sanded the more severe orange peel with 800, then I plan on going 1500, then 2000. I also bought some of meguiars medium cleaner, swirl remover, and turtle wax ice. My question is how long should I wait until I do the polish, swirl remover? I know I need to wait a month or two before the ice, cause it has some wax built in.

In the end, does anyone know when nason valueclear is completely cured?

Old 07-13-2010, 02:03 PM

I usually can sand clear and buff the next day, including nason. Be careful to attach your parts to something. I've repainted many a harley tank because the buffer grabbed a little and threw it off the table. Finally yes you would want to wait about a month to apply any wax to the finish. Also make sure your final wet sanding is done with clean water, paper and pads. You can make a few scratches in the clear that wont come out with the compound.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:22 PM

Last photo:

A urethane, yeah, usually can get on it the next day. As long as it isn't too soft or fingerprint easily. If you have any decent sized runs anywhere, those can stay soft a bit longer with all the material there.
You want to be sure to use "paint safe" products (don't have silcones or sealers) that will allow the paint to breath till it has cured for 60 days or so, to be sure that tail solvents are pretty much out of there. Most compounds and polishes should be. If in doubt, ask your paint supplier, or find out more information on your particular product.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:12 PM

Last journal entry: Box is back on the truck
Last photo:

You can use the polish the next day but the wax you should wait 3 months. I have a blog that has all the info on waxes polishes and cleaners at rix-trix.blogspot.com on the right you will see archive posts that is where you will find the wright up. Not advertising any products, it just explains about all three. A must read. If you have any problems finding it email me at rixtrix01@gmail.com and I can copy and past it in an email to you.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.