A Couple of Minor Problems in Wiring - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2006, 05:19 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A Couple of Minor Problems in Wiring

Some time ago I purchased an EZ Wiring Harness for my 32. I decided that I needed to install it this spring as I was getting more electrical problems than I needed from the old system (hand made). I have everything wired up and all seems to be OK except I am not getting power to the electrical choke and my Voltmeter shows nothing.

Does anyone know which circuit handles the electric choke on the EZ harness? I pulled all of the fuses that I thought I would not need and EZ doesn't tell which circuit runs the choke wire. I need it so the choke will pull off.

Secondly, the EZ instructions are not real good when it comes to wiring the alternator to voltage regulator. I have the old system, 2 wire with square plug. Instructions show wire to field and #2 on the regulator off of this square plug feed. At the regulator they show Alt Excitor wire going to #3 and #4. These two are tied together. They then stop their diagram and do not tell you where these wires go from there. Mine simply goes back into the fuse block. Is this wrong??? If so, where do I run this excitor wire from regulator and then back to what other point from that terminal?? On the gauge setup they show the ground wire and a simple gauge power wire coming from the harness. This gauge power wire is supposed to serve as power to the Volt gauge to show charging but it is dead. I know it has power as the fuel gauge works and it is wired together to feed power to the gauges. Temp and Oil Press are mechanical. Any ideas????

Advertisement

Last edited by reflog; 05-05-2006 at 05:22 AM. Reason: missed a couple of words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2006, 06:05 AM
Last photo:

Easiest thing to do about the choke is just run it from the field terminal of your alternator. You can power a relay from the field terminal and run 12v supply through a set of normally open contacts of the relay. This has the advantage of the choke not being energized until the engine is running.

I assume you have Ford system with the old style regulator.

Stator wire from alternator goes to "S" terminal of regulator
Field wire from alternator goes to "F" terminal of regulator
Battery wire from alternator goes to "A" terminal of regulator and also to battery+ (this wire needs to be a heavy wire, minimum #10 awg. It can come from a central point that is fed from the battery + post, or directly from the battery + post)
Alternator and regulator both need to be grounded.

For additional information go online to www.painlesswiring.com and download one of their manuals.

IMO, I would do away with the old style regulator and go with an internally regulated alternator. It is a much simpler system.

Vince

Last edited by 302/Z28; 05-05-2006 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:24 AM

Last photo:

302/Z28

"I assume you have Ford system with the old style regulator."

I should have been more specific. I am running GM here. Column and all is GM. If EZ were a little better to deal with on the phone I would call them and ask them to advise me which circuit the choke is on but when you call them they are always busy and they take your phone number and say they will call you back. If they only put a description of the circuits in their install book it would help. My car does not have power windows, antenna, etc. No need to keep these circuits hot so decided not to cut the wires but just disable them and store them behind the kick panel on drivers side. That way, if anyone else ever wants to add these options, they can. Rather than running a new wire to feed the choke, would like to simply find out which fuse runs it, plug it back in and it is ready. I can plug a fuse into all the circuits, one by one and leave the key on to determine which it is but I thought maybe someone had run into this prior. My main problem is the volt meter not working. I have to find that problem or I'll never know whether or not the system is charging. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:07 AM
Last photo:

Understand, but you want to avoid a situation where your choke is hot with the key on and the engine off. That way you can do whatever you need to do with the key on, but the choke will be operating from a cold position and will not receive 12v until the engine is running. That is the proper way to wire an electric choke.

Pick any 12v fused source that is open to you. On one side of a normally open set of relay contacts connect the 12v source. The other side of the open contact is wired to your choke. The relays coil gets powered from the field terminal of your alternator.

Vince

Last edited by 302/Z28; 05-05-2006 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

302Z28 Is Right on about the choke! That's EXACTLY the way you want it.

About your Volt meter..Simple..Black wire to hard ground, And Power Wire to ANY switched source in the harness/Fuse buss..That's it..No special wiring needed.

You can hook a Voltmeter ANYWHERE Parallel to the battery, as opposed to an AMP Gauge which must be installed in SERIES between the load and the source.

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.