A couple more questions regarding jambing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2011, 01:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A couple more questions regarding jambing

Reading all I can here guys, but I still have a few questions as I've never attempted an all over before.

So I decided I'll use the 3M masking tape, so let me break this question down into parts.

First, for the door jambs (And hood, and decklid jambs). When I have the hood and decklid and doors removed and i want to spray the jambs, I take it I mask the quarter panels and what not so I don't get overspray on them.. Should I use the 3M tape there to get a soft edge? Now do I want that soft edge INSIDE the jam, or on the quarter panel?

Now, I also need to paint the backside of the panels (Hood, decklid, etc).. So I'll have them flipped over on some saw horses or some such. Do I even both to mask the backside? I assume I want to get some colour on the edges, and maybe even possible on the front side? I'm not sure about that.

Now, since I would clear the jambs and the backsides (And the edges), this leads me to my next question. I want to shoot my metallic with all the parts on the car (Except for the valances.. I can deal with minor colour variation there I think).

So I'd put the foam tape or whatever I'm using, and shut the door (Or decklid, etc).

Now, I would have some overspray or a transition line poking out which I would need to spray over.. So do I lay the masking foam/tape down, and then scuff the visible painted and cleared section, then lay my base and clear? Or how does this work. This is the area I need the most clarification. For example when I paint the backside of the panels and the edges, and then mount them on the car, I will have a bit of color and clear showing on the exterior which I'm about to paint. So what do I do there?

Thanks guys!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 03:22 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK81
I will have a bit of color and clear showing on the exterior which I'm about to paint. So what do I do there?

Thanks guys!
Use that overspray as a guide to sanding the outside of the panel if the outside hasn't been sanded before.

It is common to leave the out side sanding for last and then after sanding& cleaning up to the edge close the doors on the foam tape that is inside on the new clear that has sat a day or (12 - 24hrs) generically speaking...

When painting the outside after closing the gaps and masking set to go remember to "band" the gaps with light coats of base color so the reducer in the now new base hitting fresh sanded clear has less of a chance of reacting at that edge plus you know you got color there as a bonus, then carry on with the wetter passes ...
hope to have helped
Old 04-01-2011, 10:31 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the reply! SO explain this reacting clear coat that I keep reading about?

Also, let's say I spray the jambs, install the doors, and sand the exterior, in that order.

Then I'd install my 3m foam inside the jambs.. Should I get a little piece of sandpaper and sand/scuff right up to/underneath the foam tape on the inside of the jambs? I wouldn't think it would stick if I didn't do that?
Old 04-01-2011, 04:03 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

You may have missed the last post here --> Questions about basic painting. Jambs/Overlapping, etc, etc.. Quite long! Appreciated

it'll stick

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.