Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - A couple of needle/thread Q's...
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 08:52 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A couple of needle/thread Q's...

Machine = Adler 167-373T

A couple of weeks of practice using $5/square mile, waterproof, #8 heavy cotton duck canvas and I'm starting to get comfortable with the machine and am getting decent results. Now I have a few more questions before I move up to more expensive fabric:

1) I tried some #138 Non-wicking polyester thread through a size 22 needle and wasn't pleased with the results. The thread wasn't wrapped very tightly and tended to fray pretty quickly and was messy to cut. Is this normal for all non-wicking thread or is there another issue here? Does "non-wicking" = "not bonded"?

2) The Adler manual for this machine says that "The bobbin thread should be thinner or softer than the needle thread." Why is this? I've been using the same size #92 bonded polyester thread as the needle thread with decent results (at least I think it was decent).

3) Finally, I think I saw somewhere that the largest needle that can be used with this machine is a size 22 BUT, I see that there are 2 types of feed dogs for this particular machine--one for needle size up to 22 and one for larger than size 22 needles. I'd like to sew some #207 thread and maybe some 277 at some point. Is it safe to presume that the needle (and therefore the feed dog) size are the only limiting factor in the use of these large threads?

Thanks!

--Mark