Couple of paint questions
Im about to paint a car next week and I got a couple of questions before I do. Although I have done repairs's and partial painting, this will be my first ever complete paint job.
1. My hood was in very bad shape. After days and days of working it, I got quite a bit of metal glaze in it were it was wavy and a few spots of regular filler. Should I use a sealer on this before my base coat? (BTW, I have a quart of sealer left over)
2. Does wet sanding after the 2nd coat of clear with 600 grit and then laying down a third runnier (flow) coat of clear make it extra smooth as suggested? DO I just use more activator or do I use reducer in the clear and by how much? (Nason 3:1 clear) Do I turn down the air pressure on the last coat of clear?
3. What about the base coat. Is there any advantage to wet sanding the base coat between coats with some 1500-2000 grit? (It was mentioned to me, but I don't think there is any advantage)
4. I will be painting this in a kinda small carport (20 x 12). It is alot cleaner and less dusty than any shop I could use. I was gonna use plastic sheeting to seal the one open side and the open door off, but Im worried about the overspray floating around in the somewhat small area and landing on the fresh paint. Will it be ok to go ahead and seal it off an maybe use 2 or 3 fans to help pull the overspray out? Or should I leave the door open and wet everything down real good?
5. I read about people using the Endust cleaning wipes as a tack rag and some said it was better because it took the static out of the panels and keeps dirt and bugs from sticking to the car. Does it leave anything behind on the paint or is it just alcohol that evaperates? Do you tack rag it after you use the endust wipes or just the endust wipes?
Thanks for you help and any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Last edited by firechicken383; 09-22-2005 at 08:53 PM.