Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - A couple problems - TH400 trans and power brakes
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 06:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A couple problems - TH400 trans and power brakes

The vehicle in question is a 79 C-10. I recently installed the TH400 and a 454 engine. After having this truck for 3 1/2 years I finally got to drive it again. Ive only driven it once, and that was when it had a 350 and a 3 on the tree manual trans.

I installed a TH400 out of a 78 suburbanI used to have. Trans worked fine when it was pulled, however thats been about 4 years maybe 4 1/2. Now I cant get it to shift out of first. It COULD be related to the brake problem i'm having but i dont really think so, but I dont know thats why Im asking here.

The brake problem: I step on the brake, the engine stumbles and dies. Leaky brake booster perhaps? I dont know. It was fine when it was parked 3 years ago....

I did have the brake booster off so i could swap out the brake pedals and steering column. I forgot exactly why it had to come off, but for some reason it did. I dont know if this has anything to do with it or not. I also had to replace the master cylinder. I noticed some rust around the inside portion of the booster, behind the master cylinder. So maybe its bad, but my question is, is there something i may have messed up or put together wrong when i did all my disassembly and reassembly? Or is it simply time for a new booster?

If the booster is leaking too much would that cause my trans shifting problem?