coustom cowl scoop - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2003, 08:03 PM
Kill It & Grill It

Last journal entry: New door panels
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

coustom cowl scoop

Hey guys i have a extra hood for my 78 Nova and i wanted some opinions on how to build a cowl inducted scoop for it? Either fiberglass or metal will work. I just wantd some opinions on how to make one.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2003, 08:36 PM

scoopy doo

i suggest gettin big block of styrafoam shape it on ur hood to make it flow with rest of body lines. fiberglass can be done by anyone with sanding block & materials available at KaMeapART
/ WALyMART. metal means bending metal = tools & knowledge to finish job. shrinking & stretching i have homemade english wheel but not easy to get hands on one. u can bend it on tires, cans, pipes to shape it. using hammer & doly.if metal thin enough u can rough shape it over ur knee. u can shape aluminum alot easier if u anneal - cover it with acetalene soot then nuetral flame to burn soot off= much easier to bend now. very hard to do in one pce. allow 1" all around shape. can use paper to see how it has to fold to go over shape, cut & fit tape it together & u got pattern to cut metal to. so split it down middlewith 1" overlap from ea. side at center seam weld it together or a couple of poprivets to hold position & new panel adhesive easiest. ought to get u going & thinking it thru with foam mach up to visualize it. i will be doing it to my 65 in spring. show pics of urs as u do it. member all if u can see it visualy in ur mind, ur hands are the only thing holding u back from getting what u see. if u want it u will learn whatever it takes. jwart

Last edited by jwart; 10-31-2003 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:05 PM
Kill It & Grill It

Last photo:

I had an idea and was going t test it on the extra hood causeits no good full of bondo. I was going to go out from the center of the hood the about 12 inches to one side and 12 inches to the other to make a 24 inch wide cowl. Then i was going to ut along those lines to about 49 inches on bot sides. Then take the piece in the center i just cut and bend up and take two pieces of sheet metal and stick beween that and the hood upright and weld together and then use a little fibergalass or body putty to smooth every thing ot. i will pst a drawing to help out later.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:20 PM
Kill It & Grill It

Last photo:

here is a rough sketch think it will work?? and the piece i will cut for the sides i will weld in, then down at the botom or where any holes are i will fiberglass in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hood.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	446  

Last edited by Novaman78; 10-31-2003 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

It can be done, but is alot of work. I did the hood on my S-10 the same way you are thinking. Words of caution. The hood will pull in at the back. I ruined one hood before learning this. The next hood I bolted to a frame work to hold it solid. After unbolting it, it still pulled in about 1/4-1/2 inch overall. This made me absolutely sick since I thought there was no way it would. I went ahead and used it, but it is the part of the truck I am least happy with, and it will likely get redone or replaced in the future. Right now I have too much work in it to trash it. A Better sollution might be the approach Wiemer took which you can see in the feature on his truck. You can see a couple of pics in my album of how I did mine. Just click my picture<--------------

Chris
Old 11-01-2003, 07:03 PM

if you really want a cowl induction hood there are a few companys aut there that make some pretty decent hoods, that will probably be a lot less stressful then trying to make one but if you insist on trying to make one to not use regular fiberglass resin that is sold at walmart. go to a boat repair yard and get a good quality epoxy fiberglass resin. the cost is not much more but its a hell of a lot stronger
Old 11-01-2003, 11:06 PM
Kill It & Grill It

Last photo:

he guys thanks for the help. I just got home from working on my hood. I did every thing i was planing on except for welding the metal sides in i just made the sides out of Bondo glass fiberglass resin. i got the whole thing built and started sanding it. The hood is back on my car now all the rest i can do with it on the car. I need to sand some more then use some body putty to smooth everything out a little. Well thanks for the help guys! i will get pictures soon as possible
Old 11-02-2003, 02:27 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Well, I dont want to be negative, but I dont think the fiberglass is going to last long unless you somehow support it with steel. And it will still likely crack.

Chris
Old 11-03-2003, 01:21 PM
Kill It & Grill It

Last photo:

Hey guys thanks for the help. Hey turbos10 the fiberglass didn't hold up so i took it off and welded some sheet metal in there. I need to shape it up a little around the edges and weld it in a little more. Im going to put a support across the bottom of the hood to hep it from being so flimsy. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:22 PM

hood scoop

I hope this helps, I put a fiberglass scoop on my truck, looks good, I did this in july, last week my son came in an asked who droped the bowling ball on my hood, I pulled it out in the driveway, could'nt figure it out, then the sun came out, and in 30 min . it looked like new again, moral of story two kinds of material expand and contract at different rates now I wish I had just bought a all metal , or a all fiberglass hood, I had about 1500. in paint and material , not counting labor, I feel a little dumb, sometimes the price of experience is great.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:24 AM
Kill It & Grill It

Last photo:

Well mine held up for about 24hrs then i went out and the sides were bowing out so i decided to go with the original plan and do all sheet metal. Well i say all sheet metal i will have sheet metal sides then on the edges i will use fiberglass to shape it up a little bit. Anyway thanks for the help!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.