Covell Top Chop and sectioning Video Review - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2006, 11:55 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Covell Top Chop and sectioning Video Review

Covell Top Chop and sectioning Video Review

I have to tell you, I have very high expectations for any new Ron Covell video I get. First off, he has taken his time to speak to me a number of times giving me his full attention, he is a gentleman to ninth degree. He has a very unassuming gentlemanly way about him what just makes you feel comfortable with trying what he shows you.
The first video I got was “Basic techniques for working with steel”. In the first five minutes of the tape I stopped it and told my wife that I could throw this tape in the garbage right now, that one trick was worth much more than the $40.00 I paid for the tape.

I was not disappointed with “Chopping and Sectioning”. The majority of the video has a fellow named Joe McGlynn explaining the procedures involved in the surgery of his Studebaker Pickup. If there was a guy as good at this video stuff as Ron, it is Joe. He does a great job of explaining and knows his stuff! I have done quite a number of section and top chops, yet there was still plenty for me to learn on this DVD. At the same time, if you have never done a thing like this, it is paced just right for you as well. It not only covers how to mark out carving up a body but touches very nicely on a number of techniques such as making templates, how plans change, aligning key points, Shrinking theory, Different type of welding, etc.
It covers the basic use of tools such as the English wheel, shrinking with a Pullmax, and a planishing hammer.

If you have ever bought a book like Ron Fourniers “Metal fabricators handbook” or “Advanced Sheet metal Fabrication” by Timothy Remus (featuring Ron Covell) you will see some of the techniques like forming simple sheetmetal shapes over an easy to make wood buck in the firewall fabrication they do on the truck. I also HIGHLY recommend these two books, they are the best of the best on this subject.

And don’t let the fact that it is a Studebaker and you are chopping a Ford mean it has nothing to offer. That couldn’t be further from the truth. This video has MUCH more to offer than simply chopping and sectioning a Studebaker truck. It shows you how to choose a cut, how to solve problems, how to pick how much to cut. These lessons can be used on every vehicle.

I HIGHLY recommend the video to anyone even remotely interested in custom body and fabrication. If nothing else, it will “demystify” these procedures. I only wish I had something like this when I chopped my 48 Chevy pickup when I was 16, I had to go it on my own.

Brian

P.S. I have no business connection what so ever with this product.

Ron Covell (click here)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2006, 12:30 AM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

I have asked this in a few threads over the years in regards to different tapes/DVDs, but are his closed captioned or subtitled?

thanks,
Brian
Old 02-13-2006, 06:42 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

I don't believe its C/C. Never saw anything on it. You can get on his website and ask him, though!

I thought the DVD was great as well. If you add this to the Monster Garage episode, (with all the nonsense deleted) you would have a great start. A word about the Monster garage segment...You REALLY have to listen to what the guys are saying. It will take 4-5 times of watching it, to get all the tips out of it. ESPECIALLY Gene Winfield's advice. Sharp cookie.

Back to Covell's review..... The info is top shelf. I was suprized he didn't offer more instruction himself, but he's a touch on the dry side. The other guy was pretty decent, so I guess it works.

DEFINATELY WORTH THE MONEY !

The "shop tours" videos.....not worth the postage you spend. ZZZZZZZZZ
Have YET to make through ONE without falling asleep.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:58 AM
Lost in the 50s!

Last photo:

E-mail sent to the address on the site. I didn't know there was one on there.

What moster garage episode? Those are CC for sure. Once you eliminate the goofy stuff you can learn things.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:25 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

54 chevy chop
Old 02-13-2006, 02:52 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last photo:

I received a very quick reply.

The videos are not CC. They said no one ever asked before.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Did you ask if there is a "script" of some kind that you could get? There may not be, they are just talking off the cuff for the most part. So there very well might not be any formal script of any kind, but it is worth asking.

Brian
Old 02-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last photo:

Its fine. I am not buying anything currently, but a few of them looked really interesting for future use. The top chop is very interesting to me. Did you see what Sam Foose did to Chip's 56 f-100? I have it on VHS (captioned )

There are no scripts per say. The aluminum shaping with hand tools (something like that) has one they have and would make available if I wanted it.

I tried to buy a painting one (painting 101 from Len) a while back only to find out it was not captioned. Most of the technical ones out there are not. I guess its expensive and/or there is not much interest in it.

Oh well. At least now I know.

I will say this for the Covell site. They replied to my question almost immediately. If they treat their customers the same way, its a good place to deal with.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.