Cracked 882 head? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 07:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cracked 882 head?

All,
I pulled the heads and the area in the center opposite the exhaust outlets is covered with carbon. I don't see how exhaust gases could be coming out in this area unless the head is cracked. I've read previous posts indicating 882 heads are prone to cracking.
Is this carbon proof that the heads are cracked or is there another way for exhaust gases to exit in this area? A photo is attached.
Thanks,
PA-Farmer

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2007, 08:05 PM

Last photo:

Are you looking at the heat riser port that runs exhaust through the intake under the carburetor?
Old 09-04-2007, 08:14 PM

Last photo:

Bob,
I could be; although I've had the head off my '37 Packard and and '47 tractor, these were both flatheads. This is my first time pulling the heads of a sbc.
So it sounds like there is routing of exhaust gases through the intake. I posted a picture of the head and the carbon build-up on my gallery. Would carbon build up then be expected in this area?
Jeff
Old 09-04-2007, 08:33 PM

Last photo:

That looks like a high mileage engine there. The area where the carbon is accumulated is the heat riser passage and what you're seeing is burned oil attached to the bottom of the port. You must be flowing a lot of exhaust through there is the exhaust system restricted? Also, it looks like she's burning some oil and the valves look sunk some. Did you tear it down for a rebuild? Have the heads checked for cracks before you put any money into them. Does the engine run hot?
Old 09-04-2007, 08:42 PM

Last photo:

882 heads commonly crack from the center exhaust seat into the heat riser passage or the center bolt hole. Carefully check the exhaust valve right of center in the pic. You can see part of the crossover passage thru the upper coolant hole. The crack will originate at about 11:00 on the seat and follow up and to the left. You may need Mag equipment to see it. More prevalent with sunken seats.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:40 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info.
Bob H. I think you're right about the high mileage. The heads are dated August 74 and I was told the motor was out of an 70's Camaro. It does burn a little oil but not excessively. I rarely put on more than 50 miles a week so adding a little oil once in a while is no big deal. I'm not planning to tear it down for a rebuild. The engine runs a little hot (about 200).
Bob C. Thanks for the details on what to look for. After I cleaned up the heads there were no obvious cracks so I dropped them off to be magnafluxed. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll find out the results.
Thanks again guys
Old 09-05-2007, 11:04 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

It was some time back another person on here had this same problem with excessive build up in this area, he removed the carbon to find it had eaten through the cast iron on the heat riser passage and into the lifter valley. I`ve seen many 882 heads have that same build up, but I never looked closely or cleaned the carbon off to see if it had eaten it`s way through. The 882 castings run very hot. But now days it seems the arguement of these heads is they are really not as light as was believed to be, it`s just they get so hot due to the double heat riser passage the heat cracks them in time or since the head is on the border line in temp wise is why they crack when the engine is rat hot. I have a cracked 882 head that I took a die grinder and carbide cutter to the deck just to see how far I could go, it went a long way down before I hit the water jacket. the deck of this head was really thick and it came off a 400 small block. There used to be a user here called "MinesBlown" I haven`t seen him here in a long time now, but I sold him a set of 882 castings, and he said from all the checks he ran on them that they were heavy casted heads, he was happy I sold the pair to him for $30, and they didn`t need any work, he ran them on his blown race engine after some mild porting and he was very happy with the results.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:12 PM

Last photo:

Well, I guess you can't beat magniflux to know for sure.
Magnifluxing showed one of the two heads (not the one in the picture) was cracked right where Bob C. said it would be.
The other head checked out fine and along with all valves, valve springs, etc.
My shop guru has another 882 head in good condition so I'm sticking with 882's for now. To add another voice to the debate that was on another thread, he considers 882's to be a "heavy" casting.
Doublevision, thanks for your comments on 882's.
Having grown up going to junk yards with the old man for all our "new" parts, I like the idea of sticking with the 882's better than simply getting out the credit card and ordering something new from Summit.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.