Cracked crank questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2010, 09:53 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cracked crank questions

I have a forged crank that has a crack on one of the journals. It's not a horrible crack, but it's cracked nonetheless. I've heard some people say the crank is junk and use it as a (insert object here). Others have said that if it's a street motor that won't be seeing above 5500-6000, it should be fine.

This crank is already .030./.030, so if it's not usable, it's not a great loss, but for this particular engine, cranks aren't growing on trees. So if it's usable, that would be great.

I was planning on building an engine for street driving, so the maximum RPM it would see would be right at 5500-6000, and was just curious as to what people thought about using a cracked crank. I know the first thought is "Throw it out!", but I want to hear from people that have run a cracked crank or worked at a shop that dealt with them and know why you shouldn't run one or something like that.

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2010, 10:28 AM

Nothing highly personal or direct . . . But about 40 years ago, a friend was just cruising down I 280 in his TR4, on the ramp headed for I 880. Loud noise. Vibration. Drove home very slowly. We tore the engine down . . .Broken crank, in a stock engine. I'm an engineer . . I work with large forgings and castings on a near daily basis, in a defense industry. I am not a materials engineer, or metallurgist, but I can very confidently say that my friends broken crankshaft started as a crack. I personnally think it's amazing that he made it home on engine.

Maybe Scat makes something that'll fit?

Pat
Old 10-15-2010, 10:45 AM

Last photo:

Before you use it or throw it away I would ask around and search for the best crank shop in your area. Take it to them, have it mag'd and let THEM tell you if it's repairable. If the crack is not too deep they may be able to weld and turn that journal....but remember, if it's cracked in one place in may have others that you can't see. Ol' Mr. Magnaflux will let you know.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:24 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacarfan2
I have a forged crank that has a crack on one of the journals. It's not a horrible crack, but it's cracked nonetheless. I've heard some people say the crank is junk and use it as a (insert object here). Others have said that if it's a street motor that won't be seeing above 5500-6000, it should be fine.

This crank is already .030./.030, so if it's not usable, it's not a great loss, but for this particular engine, cranks aren't growing on trees. So if it's usable, that would be great.

I was planning on building an engine for street driving, so the maximum RPM it would see would be right at 5500-6000, and was just curious as to what people thought about using a cracked crank. I know the first thought is "Throw it out!", but I want to hear from people that have run a cracked crank or worked at a shop that dealt with them and know why you shouldn't run one or something like that.

Thanks!
Unless this is some sort of an unusual and rare crank, you're money ahead to just replace it. The cost of divining how extensive the crack is, grinding it out if it is repairable, welding up the journal, then turning and polishing it to a restored condition will most likely exceed the cost of replacement.

Always keep in mind that a major bottom end failure of rods or crank is almost always fatal to the block, usually gets the cam, and frequently takes out the heads as well. Consider the cost of this when thinking about the money saved cutting corners on rods, crankshafts, pistons, pins, and bearing caps.

Bogie
Old 10-15-2010, 03:37 PM

Last photo:

Cracks radiating from an oil hole will not usually hurt in a street engine. I have salvaged plenty of expensive stroker cranks suffering from this malady. If the crack is at the outer edge of the journal or into the fillet. Throw it away!!!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.