Cracked cylinder, bad head gasket or ??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 05:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cracked cylinder, bad head gasket or ???

I had an Australian 351C long block built in California ( I'll reserve the companies name until I get to the bootom of this problem) I did the normal break in every thing seemed fine and then after about 200 miles I noticed a little smoke out of the drivers side exhaust. This slowly got worse. When the engine is cold, no smoke but as it comes up to temp here comes the mosquito fogger. I replaced the head gaskets, Had the head pressure tested, no cracks, no leaks. I'm actually convinced that I have both burning oil and coolant coming out of the exhaust. I have no sign of coolant in the oil and a coolant combustion leak test was inconclusive. Do you think it's possible to have a cracked cylinder that could allow both oil and coolant into the combustion chamber? I'm at a loss as to what else it might be. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 06:00 PM

Last photo:

I would think that it's possable for a cracked cylinder to allow coolant in through the crack, as well as allow oil to slip past the rings. Or mabe a cracked ring, coupled with a bad head gasket.
When you had the heads off, what did the bores look like?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Old & Furious

Do you smell burning coolent from the exhuast. Normally the smell is the easy tell. If its smoking that bad better get it back to the shop and let them go over it and find the problem.

If you had a head with two cracks maybe but not likely. If it was one crack you would get water in the oil.

Probably just a wasted valve seal. Might not have been installed right or just bad seal from the factory. They will blow oil like crazy and still run good. Cracked head will run like crap and show signs of pressure in the system.

Also possibly an intake gasket pinched during install.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:01 PM

Last photo:

I would be looking at the intake gaskets for sure. I had one that was losing coolant. No visible leaks. No water in the oil. Dexcool did it in. Wasn't burning oil, but the way the gasket was deteriorating it was possible that it would have in time by way of the lifter valley. Not saying thats what it is for sure, but it may be worth a look.
FWIW, Good Luck,
ssmonty

Last edited by ssmonty; 12-17-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the replys. I thought I might have had an intake gasket problem too but I've changed them twice with no change. When I had the heads off I looked at the bores pretty close. I didn't see anything other than some nice cross hatching. I ordered a leak down tester so maybe I'll be able to determine where it's leaking.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.