Hot Rod Forum banner

Cracked Exhaust Manifold? (pictures attached)

969 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  willowbilly3 
#1 ·
I pulled this Ram's Horn manifold out of my spare parts bin to check it out. I bought it used and don't recall noticing these cracks then. Are they superficial or is it junk and I'll have to hunt another #3989036 down?

thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
those are some wierd cracks on that ol' rams horn..... if it were mine i would just use it tell i find better ones... the cracks are not black so the exhaust gasses are not leaking out of them yet. i just wonder how the heck them cracks started! almost like some1 hit the manifold from the inside with a big punch at one time.

#8 ·
Thanks! I'll figure out a way to plug it and try that water trick and see if it seeps. Yes, it's a RH mani so that's an interesting point about the heat riser. I bought this used a long time ago and never used it. I guess if it's not cracked thru - they are still usable but may be on 'borrowed' time so to speak.

thanks,

#9 ·
The thing is on it's way out, run it until you find another. I have welded these in a pinch, like on our dirt car to get it back into the main event. I think what you see there is the result of it being driven with a dead hole. Raw fuel and air are introduced and burned like a blow torch in the manifold which eventually does damage it. And splashing through an icy puddle or a inoperative efe don't help either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.