Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Cracked Head Leaking Head Gasket?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 07:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy89 View Post
Yes my coolant keeps dropping, I can't keep it full. And when I turned off the engine, with the cap off, coolant launched out of the radiator and went everywhere. i haven't checked anything with the electronics/vacuum, (and I'm waiting on a fuel pressure guage) , for surging issues yet. Because I am now staring to over heat from a short ten minute drive to work, it's getting up to the second to the last line I want to guess 240 since the last one is 260 and middle is 210. And i try to top off the radiator but it keeps surging and pushing all the fluid i add out, I've almost went through a jug trying to do this. And I'll check my spark plugs shortly once the headers cool down.
Are you saying that you had the cap removed with engine running and when you turned off the engine coolant then shot out. Or it did it shoot out after you turned off the engine and then took of the pressure cap?

Did the coolant usage problem develop after you replaced the thermostat? If yes, then remove it and run it with the t-stat out to see what happens. If the head or head gasket is bad, then it will still push coolant with the t-stat out. If it is overheating, then SSMonty is right on the money about checking leak down, plugs, etc..

With that being said, if you end up thinking it is a head or head gasket, before you pull the heads, take a really good look at the intake gaskets for leaking in the valley. Also I'd get a hold of whoever you bought the long block from and make sure you complete any testing they require for warranty because all the testing is over once the heads are removed.

Good luck, hoping you just have a dud t-stat
The Following User Says Thank You to 64nailhead For This Useful Post:
skippy89 (02-17-2013)