Craftsman DA Sander & Sandblaster - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2004, 05:00 PM
Eager and Willing to Learn

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Craftsman DA Sander & Sandblaster

I bought both the Craftsman DA sander and 100lb Capacity Sandblaster. I lost the paperwork/instructions on both. Today I finally had a chance to get out in the shop and work on some bodywork, and tried both tools and was thourghly disapointed with both. I am hoping that someone can tell me how to configure either one or both to get some performance out of the tools. I know the max PSI for both but past that I am clueless! Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Is this what you have? And what specifically do you need to know about them? It could be your compressor is too small for the equipment or your airline is too small for the equipment or a combo of both. What size of airhose do you have and what size of compressor? Any pics of the equipment?

Old 12-26-2004, 06:41 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

IMO- those two items are notrious for eating cfms. Add a small die grinder and the compressor will NEVER shut off. They SAY 4cfm for the DA, but 14 is more like it! I always have to wait for the compressor to catch up. Mine is an Ingersol Rand 80 gal 14cfm @90psi unit, and its too small!
Old 12-26-2004, 07:32 PM

Last photo:

Yes both of those are the same tools I have, sorry for not clarifying that. I have a upright oiled 25 gallon husky with an output of 5.8cfm at 90 psi. I am unsure of the size of hose. Same as what has always come with my compressors (hoses are all covered paint so I cant find markings). My question is, are there some setting or variable that I am missing that would make these tools useful? The DA is decent but I honestly think I would be better off hand blocking it. I still have the box and it says it is adjustable per job but dont have the instructions on how to do this. On the Sandblaster I dont know if i was just expecting to much but it was absolutley pathetic, I tried all diffrent angles and depths of spraying and found it to only take off a tiny area about a 1/4" at a time and not get through the old paint after for a very very long time. I tried all three diffrent sizze nozzles and went higher and lower on the air pressure all to no avail! I bought these tools thinking it would speed up my bodywork process, so far it has slowed me down and cost me $$. Any Ideas?
Old 12-26-2004, 10:41 PM

Last photo:

your compressor is way too small, I have yet to use a compressor that can keep up with any type of sandblaster, except for the large trailer type that power jackhammers. on the DA the adjustment is the small black nob above the disk, centered is for the most speed and either way off center will slow it down. The best tool I use for stripping is a large 7"/9" angle grinder fitted with a soft rubber backing and a very aggresive sandpaper, works really fast.

Gary
Old 12-26-2004, 11:10 PM

Last photo:

Well the box specs say it needs somthing like 9cfm I believe at 40 psi which to the best of my knowledge my compressor easily pushes....
Old 12-26-2004, 11:45 PM
POOR SEND HELP!!!

Go look at about any Compressor none of them recommend that small of a compressor for any of the sanders. Hell alot of the 60 gallon compressors barely fall under the "useable" category with them.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:25 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I have that Sears sandblaster. It works but as others have said, it requires a LOT of air. Also, they are notorious for "bridging" the sand in the bin (and thus running out of media at the gun tip). I have to shake or knock on the side of the bin every couple of minutes to insure a continuous flow of sand. The bridging gets even worse if your sand/media gets a little damp.

I finally sprung for a blasting cabinet so I only use my Sears for big stuff now that that won't fit in the cabinet unit.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:33 AM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

I have a similar size compressor and it will barely keep up with a DA, I have to "rest" it when using the in-line sander. It could never run a sandblaster.

That said, it's very practical for the small jobs I do at home. Big ones go to a friend's shop.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:55 AM
1950 Ford Custom

Last journal entry: 1950 Ford Custom work in progress
Last photo:

Paint Stripper

I just stripped an entire door with $8 liquid paint stripper and a $35 palm sander (80 grit 1/4 sheet) in about 40 minutes. That includes the 15 minutes required to let the stripper activate. I got this at Ace Hardware. I will highly recommend this. Use an old rag and pair of gloves to apply the stripper in one direction wait 15 min. and use a wide putty blade to take it off.

I think I could do the whole car for about $32. Make sure you wash it good. Pros say it can hide in cracks and attack your new paint if your not careful.

I have also tried the Aircraft stripper in the rattle can and it did not work as well as this stuff.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:51 PM

Last photo:

Allright once again my ignorance bite me in a uncomfortable place. I should have known the DA would suck out the air I just assumed (that was stupid I know) that my new compressor should easily push it. My air file (strait line ?) sander seems to do ok with the new compressor. Is there any type of DA or jitterbug or anything similar that would be good on curves and the like for bodywork that arent air hogs? Thanks for your help

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.