Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Craftsman Drill Bits (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/craftsman-drill-bits-167619.html)

scotzz 10-31-2009 07:14 AM

Craftsman Drill Bits

I'm looking to get a set of decent drill bits. Sears has a sale on Titanium and also Cobalt drill bit sets. Looking to hear opinions on these as well as recommendations for sets from other suppliers (like Dewalt or?)

Thanks

timothale 10-31-2009 07:20 AM

Made in the USA ?

More and more items are made off shore and their quality sucks, The first thing to do is see where they were made.

onebadmerc 10-31-2009 07:26 AM

You might check out the Norseman bits, I have a set and they have held up pretty well.

http://www.norsemandrill.com/Catalog_Index.html

302 Z28 10-31-2009 08:01 AM

To be perfectly honest, I do not like Chinese products....but Sears and Craftsman in particular seem to be insisting on quality from their offshore manufacturer. I unknowingly bought some Craftsman tools that were made in China and they are fine.

Vince

alittle1 10-31-2009 08:55 AM

It would depend on what you were using them for. If you are just using them for general grunt work, and not thinking about sharpening them, they should do you fine. If you use them on a regular basis and like to keep a keen edge on all your bits, I would look for something else. The titanium and cobalt is just in the coating.

I have a set of Milwaukee's that I had for over 35 years and have supplimented these with general use bits from Craftsman, Chinese, etc.but my complete index of bits for 'good' use, is the Milwaukee's.

If you are doing drilling in 1/4" and under material, go for the multi- bit with four or five different sizes in one.

Irelands child 10-31-2009 09:07 AM

You can always take a look in the McMaster Carr web catalog. Most of the drill bits that I've bought from them in the past have been US made - but of course, that can change :pain:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#metalworkin...d-rods/=4at19m

Dave W

weirdbeard 10-31-2009 09:27 AM

My friend bought some imported bits that would not break. They bent! That is a sign of quality. :eek:

oldred 10-31-2009 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weirdbeard
My friend bought some imported bits that would not break. They bent! That is a sign of quality. :eek:

It sure is, but what KIND of quality? :pain:

oldred 10-31-2009 03:52 PM

I have bought quite a few Craftsman bits and unless quality has slipped recently they are hard to beat for the cost. Certainly there are better bits and it just depends on how much you want to spend and what you intend to do with them but for general all-around use Craftsman bits work just fine. TiN (Titanium) bits work really good and are cost effective for general use with Cobalt being more costly but better suited to drilling hardened steels and abrasive metals like cast iron.

eloc431962 10-31-2009 03:54 PM

I have sears bits and dewalt and both have been good to me but i do like the dewalt better though, But either are fine IMO. ....Cole

scotzz 11-04-2009 04:31 PM

What about just buying a regular set of black oxide along with a Drill Doctor and sharpen as needed??

Irelands child 11-04-2009 06:48 PM

That's exactly what I do - the Drill Doctor does a great job but they are a bit tricky to use and get the right 'heel' angle

Old Rotor Flap 11-05-2009 08:00 AM

In other threads, I've coined the term; Cheap Chinese Communist Conscripted Child Cruelty Conflicting Capitalism Cr*p. The 9C's.

You can specify the level of quality you want when dealing with the Chinese or most any other offshore vendors. Where things fall apart is when American companies merely have existing Chinese products repackaged under their name with regard more for the bottom line than quality. If only the Chinese would use the same poor quality in their own nuclear weapons program. They'd blow themselves up. Yipee!

I think Ti coated drills from China have more to do with perception than quality. Ti coatings are designed improve tool life in a controlled setting. The only real way to make the Ti coating cost effective is to run the drill in a CNC Mill where feeds and speeds can be acutately controlled. This can't be done with the average drill press or hand-held drill.

I guessing Ti coated 9C drills are pretty much the same quality as the uncoated drills and have been Ti coated for profitabllity, not endurance.

302 Z28 11-05-2009 08:34 AM

[QUOTE=Old Rotor Flap]

I think Ti coated drills from China have more to do with perception than quality. Ti coatings are designed improve tool life in a controlled setting. The only real way to make the Ti coating cost effective is to run the drill in a CNC Mill where feeds and speeds can be acutately controlled. This can't be done with the average drill press or hand-held drill.
[QUOTE]

Also those CNC drill bits are continually flooded with cooling/cutting fluid which we traditionally do not employ in our hobby.

Vince

Gear~head 11-14-2009 06:57 PM

I never bother with cobalt or titanium coated bits. I like the jobber length HSS, 118% drill bits. Easy to sharpen by hand, or smaller ones (3/16" or less) are cheap enough to toss. The only time I pay for premium split points is for drilling thinner gauge stainless.