Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Craftsman, Now Made in China (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/craftsman-now-made-china-219828.html)

1ownerT 05-26-2012 05:01 AM

Craftsman, Now Made in China

All Craftsman ratchets are now made in China.
If the entire line is headed that way, I will be done buying any tools from Sears.

rsfyj 05-26-2012 05:50 AM

Me also

I have enough of the good Craftsman now, I wont buy any more Chinese junk. Even there wall outlet plug adaptors are wrong size donít they know how to measure???

eloc431962 05-26-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ownerT
If the entire line is headed that way, I will be done buying any tools from Sears.

:eek: Are you serious wow when did this happen ? i have a boat load of their tools haven't bought any new ratchets for a long time though.

Cole
:pimp:

timothale 05-26-2012 07:03 AM

chines tape measure.

I did the layout to upholster some round stool tops, I used My drafting trammel to draw the cut circles and stitch lines, they were different sizes. When I was ready to sew I was sorting pieces and using a chineese cloth tape measure, the parts didn't match my cut list. The metric side was ok, the inch side had a 30 % error.

Blazin72 05-26-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Yep and they are junk too. I have a couple sets of ratchets and every one of them skip teeth when you pull on them. The most recent set is only a year old.

geezer69 05-26-2012 08:00 AM

i ben buyin a few tools from the pawn shop. you cant hardly find anything now thats not made in china. i guess we'll have to make our tools.id pay double if i could find the tools made here.

John long 05-26-2012 08:31 AM

A buddy told me last week he noticed that Vice Grip brand pliers are now made in China. It is getting bad.

John L

MARTINSR 05-26-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

I am sorry to say, it won't be long you and I will the "done" with buying anything! Makes me sick to my stomach, and it IS heading in that direction. They are all whores and they WILL sell us out for a few more dollars. We are going to be a nation of salesmen and consumers, that is all that will be here. Very sad indeed. :(

Brian

MARTINSR 05-26-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsfyj
I have enough of the good Craftsman now, I wont buy any more Chinese junk. Even there wall outlet plug adaptors are wrong size donít they know how to measure???

That's the part that amazes me, a RULER, buy an AMERICAN ruler and use it you morons! But they can't do that, when is a foot not a foot? In China that's where!

Brian

kc0kfg 05-26-2012 09:32 AM

I have said it before

The blame should be directed here in the U.S. China, Korea, ETC are all very able to make products that are just as good if not better than any old tool.

Sears could have the tools made to the old specs but they don't, for fear of pricing out of the market, corners have to be cut somewhere if you want to stay alive with Walmart just down the street.

I agree it sucks, I have replaced more Craftsman ratchets in the past two years than the 20 before.

Pawn shops, and auctions are the only place to get good lasting quality.

dinger 05-26-2012 10:30 AM

There are a few quality items coming out of China but the reason they are quality is the buyer is insisting on quality and will have a quality control program in place. Shoddy tools from sears is 90% Sears fault, they are buying and selling crap. I am done with ANYTHING from Sears, google Sears consumer complaints and there are thousands of them, I am one of the complainers. Now do a test on Lowe's, for example, there are few. Sears is headed to the same place as Monkey Wards. EVERYTHING that I could buy from Sears, I did so at one time, personal experience, friends and family, no more. :smash:

fwinter01 05-26-2012 11:16 AM

rackets

When you break the bones in your hands from there JUNK sears will not pay your mortgage either. Snap on still states they are made here not overseas. Thats is why they are spendy.

farna 05-26-2012 11:25 AM

You're right -- it's plain old American greed that's moving the jobs out to China. The Chinese aren't idiots -- they know they have to increase quality if they are to continue making things for US companies and have done it in leaps and bounds over the years. There are still Chinese companies that make cheap junk because that's what some buyers still want. But there are just as many (maybe more now!) that want to prove they can make anything as good as anyone else -- and STILL make it cheap enough to ship over. Have to be a big buyer and get a whole darn ship load to make it cheap, but our big guys (like Craftsman/Sears) can do it.

We're ending up a nation of consumers and salesmen alright. The problem is we almost HAVE to have stuff from China and third world nations -- there are fewer high paying manufacturing jobs in the US and fewer who can afford higher "made in USA" prices for manufactured items. The same guys who moved overseas are pricing themselves out of the market! What really ticks me off is that prices don't drop AT ALL when someone like Craftsman and Black & Decker move their production overseas. They just make more money. If they were passing on some of that savings it wouldn't be quite as bad. If I'm going to buy cheap Chinese tools then darn it I want to pay cheap Chinese prices -- I don't want to pay US made prices for Chinese spotty Chinese quality!! Okay, so the Chinese are stepping up quality to pretty much meet US made stuff... it still costs the manufacturers a lot less. Where's my end of that savings? Greedy bastards...

The problem is that's what many of us have been teaching our kids, or what they are learning from the big world out there anyway. Take car of yourself, screw everyone else. Back in the 50s even corporate America for the most part had a little concern for the nation in general. Now they don't. Part of that was most of corporate America had just come back from fighting to maintain the world's freedom (to a degree... won't get into Communism now!) and were grateful the war hadn't touched much of the US directly (but had big impacts indirectly). They were proud of the country and work, wanted to make money, but generally didn't do it to the detriment of the country as a whole. Now the president has to step in to stop oil speculators who are hurting the economy by artificially driving up fuel prices so they can make a few bucks... screw the little guys, they're going to buy gas and make us (the speculators) rich anyway, and we don't care if we pay more because it all comes back to us! Almost unheard of behavior in the 50s. Starting in the late 60s as those war vets started stepping down/retiring things started going down hill...

beertracker 05-26-2012 11:32 AM

I heard Craftsman will now be changing their name to Chinaman! :thumbup: I know it's in poor taste but we can thank our CEOs for the Outsourcing of America. :welcome:

'49 Ford Coupe 05-26-2012 01:12 PM

Costs of American made products.

Hey, Farna... We all need to look at the big picture.. no, let me correct that.. look at the HUGE picture. What happened after the war? HUGE production and productivity and innovation in the United States. Then what happened? There occurred a thousand or million inter-related things that brought us down, not the least of which is/was the unionization of key trades.

I was a contractor in Dallas for 30 years. Ten of those years I owned a union shop, and/but that was the only way a startup company could even DO business by drawing on the "experienced" guys. Guess what. We were paying DOUBLE the pay scale of the non-union guys. The guys who were not operating on a shoestring could not even THINK of starting a business by going non-union. The behavior of the union management was BRUTAL. Thefts, fires, sabatoge, you name it, it happened on non-union job sites. The union workers themselves (90% of them) were pretty good guys who did their work and knew what they were doing, but the 10% were spies, thieves, liars, and just plain criminal. It was a scary business.

Then there came Jimmy Carter, the worst president ever elected to office. Remember/heard about the gas lines? We couldn't buy copper or cast iron pipe at any price. He started the Dept. of Energy in 1977. Goals set? Reduce dependence on foreign oil. Yup, they surely have done that. Budget in 2010? 27 BILLION of your dollars. This is just a couple (of hundreds) of reasons costs are so high for American manufacturers.

Dawn of the electronic age? What kids want to learn how to fix an air conditioner and get all hot and sweaty when they can work on computers? Nope.. ain't gonna happen. Smart kids don't sweat.

Result? It doesn't pay to make things in America. It costs too much. Between cost of labor, government controls, taxes, the companies are saying "to hell with it - we will go out of business if we don't find a cheaper source for our products. Then here comes China (Japan 30 years ago). A COMMUNIST country whipping our a**.

I could go on for days, but this is a hot rod forum, so I'll let it be. All I can say is that I'm voting for Romney, cause we've already seen the behavior of BO. And it ain't good.