Cragar Wheels Made in U.S.A - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 04:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cragar Wheels Made in U.S.A

Well guys I just got done with installing my new Cragar 14" SS wheel and it fit like the first one should of . Summit Racing sent me a new wheel and new lug nuts and paid for me shipping back the first wheel . The first wheel took 6 1/2 ounces and the second took 3/4 ounce , all with the same tire and the socket I have always used to to install the wheels worked fine . I talked to Cragar on line and they told me they have had a few 14" 4 1/2 bolt pattern that were not quite right . Both wheels had the date they were made and that they were made in U.S.A stamped on the back side of wheel in plane site . Thanks for all the input and help .

FAT40

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Awesome!!!! Lets see some pictures.

Steve
Old 07-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I am glad it all turned out well for ya. Its also good to see companys that stand behind there products and do the right thing when something is not right.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

As far as I know, not all Cragars are made in the U.S. of A.

When I had two new SS wheels custom made, Summit was VERY helpful in getting these wheels to me. I wanted two wheels with a 4" backspacing but all you can buy is either 3.75 or 4.24 backspacing.

I have two older SS wheels with 4" backspacing that fits the wheels/tires almost dead center on the back of my other '57 BelAir Hardtop. So I wanted new wheels that fit like the old ones do.

Summit was also $100 cheaper for the same exact wheels from Cragar over Jeg's was.

I did have a problem where the first wheels Summit sent me had a 5" backspacing. which was completely the wrong backspacing I needed. So Summit sent a call tag (through UPS) for the wheels to be shipped to the correct owner in California.

It took almost 10 weeks but "My" wheels finally arrived. They look okay and all but I wasn't happy with the fact that any and all SS wheels I own are chrome plated even on the back side of the spokes. Not my new, custom made SS wheels. They're spray painted with silver paint to make you think they're plated.

And on the inside serface where the tire mounts, both wheels are gouged in several places. Sur you're not going to see this but I know it's there and I'd just paid $400 for two custom made wheels. Oh and one wheel is so course on the back side you could cut your finger if not careful.

I told Summit how unhappy I was with this. They offered to take the wheels back and get Cragar to make me two more wheels. But I told Summit I wasn't trying to get something for nothing. I was just unhappy with my new wheels being in this shape. Summit did refund me $75 of my money if I agreed to keep the wheels, so I did.

And I mounted my tires on them and have them on my car. But I know the condition of them even if you guys, don't.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:45 AM

Last photo:

Cragar Wheels Made In U.S.A

rj57

Sorry to here about the wheels from Cragar ,I have used Cragar wheels on my 40 Ford Coupe for 38 years , the wheels you describe are the way Cragar made them in the 1970's with the center not chrome plated , they started chroming the center of the wheel in 2000 . Maybe Cragar sent you old wheels from there stock ?

FAT40
Old 07-19-2006, 07:00 PM

Last photo:

Could be???

Wonder why then I paid extra $$$ for custom made SS wheels?

I paid an additional $100 on top of the $300 I'd already paid out for the two 14x8 SS wheels with 4.25" backspacing that I sent back to Summit in exchange for the credit towards having two custom made 14x8 SS wheels with a 4" backspacing.

Summit was $100 cheaper for the exact same wheels but ordered through Jeg's. I checked them both before I put the order in.

I've had SS Cragars myself since the mid-1970s. Any I've previously owned were used wheels. Not till 2002 was I finally able to buy new wheels. Then it hit me how bad my "Good" looking back wheels actaully looked against the two new wheels I'd purchased.

This is what prompted my wanting two new back wheels on my other BelAir Hardtop.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:31 PM
Just havin' fun.....

Last journal entry: Wheels and tires
Last photo:

I had several sets of Cragar SS wheels in the 70's and they all had a tendancy for the chrome to peel from around the centers. Maybe because of the transition from the chromed to the raw finish area? Didn't realize they weren't chromed in the center.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:29 PM

Last photo:

I still own the SS wheels I've had for 26 years that I bought used back then.

These wheels have plating on the backside of the spokes where they're welded to the wheel.

That's what made me irritated even more when I pulled the custom SS wheels I had made.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.