Crank endplay - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2008, 05:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Crank endplay

I had a Ford 302 (stroked to 331 c.i.) built. The crank end play was at .008". After putting 400 easy miles on the engine the end play has increased to .018. We are going to pull the engine and try to determine what has caused this problem. It's a standard shift, Ford 5 speed. Any ideas on what we should look for?
Thanks, Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 06:10 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

A 'ballooning', or, not seated all of the way torque converter(automatic), or 'gunk' on the input shaft in a standard trans application.

In 'automatic' transmission applications, a 'crimped', or restricted cooler line can cause this also.

I am led to believe it is an automatic trans application, because it happened in so few miles.

'Rule of thumb' with torque converters, is when installing them you should not be able to get your fingers between it and the bell housing when installed correctly. (all the way seated in)

Been there and done that, years ago.

I know the 'pain'.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvt
I had a Ford 302 (stroked to 331 c.i.) built. The crank end play was at .008". After putting 400 easy miles on the engine the end play has increased to .018. We are going to pull the engine and try to determine what has caused this problem. It's a standard shift, Ford 5 speed. Any ideas on what we should look for?
Thanks, Mark
1) Improperly crank finished thrust surface by manufacturer. This has been a sizable problem with some manufacturers.

2) Set up not done to align the upper an lower halves during engine build up.
It is important to be sure that the thrust surface of the upper and lower halves meet flush.

a) This is first a dry installation to see how they look without the crank. This includes pulling the cap bolts to torque. Also check to see that the cap does not tip toward the front or rear or side to side in the transverse plane when it's bedded into the block.

b) When the crank is laid in; the mains except for the thrust are pulled to torque. A pry is used to shuttle the crank back and forth two or three times with the thrust main installed with light bolt force to insure that the upper and lower halves join without a step between them. Then the mains are torqued up. The idea is to eliminate any offset between the lower and upper surface because if a step is present it will wipe the lubrication off with failure not far behind. During this phase also check for clearance.

Bogie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.