Crank Register Loose - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008, 07:45 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Crank Register Loose

a short while back i asked if anyone knew how i could fix the problem of a not loose but also not tight fitting rear cap on my 406 scb.after having some machine work done it seems i got a machinist who did not know the difference between align honing and boring.i wanted mine honed for studs.when i got it back the rear cap would not hold the bearing in place because it had been ground so badly.i took the one off my previous block and used it since all the same parts had been in it a short time before.it was fine except for not being tight.well everyone said buy new caps or junk the block and start over.just for edfication,i got a hold of stan ray of ohio crankshaft by email and he said call him.i did,and it was as simple as using a center punch to peen along the edge of the register to tighten it up.i had seen it done once before but i can't remember where,only difference was they used a chisle.stan says it doesn't work as well and they have done hundreds of them.for anyone else who may have a similar problem

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 07:55 AM

Last photo:

I"m glad you got it going,,,,,,,,,,,,but i'm sure your "fix" will bring on a host of responses! LOL

Mark
Old 01-14-2008, 08:38 AM

i think i said it was for edification,not so much for response.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNova/406
a short while back i asked if anyone knew how i could fix the problem of a not loose but also not tight fitting rear cap on my 406 scb.after having some machine work done it seems i got a machinist who did not know the difference between align honing and boring.i wanted mine honed for studs.when i got it back the rear cap would not hold the bearing in place because it had been ground so badly.i took the one off my previous block and used it since all the same parts had been in it a short time before.it was fine except for not being tight.well everyone said buy new caps or junk the block and start over.just for edfication,i got a hold of stan ray of ohio crankshaft by email and he said call him.i did,and it was as simple as using a center punch to peen along the edge of the register to tighten it up.i had seen it done once before but i can't remember where,only difference was they used a chisle.stan says it doesn't work as well and they have done hundreds of them.for anyone else who may have a similar problem
I have good reasons why I didn't recommend that process in the first place. Like knurling pistons and valve guides, it's pretty OK for a stock rebuild that's used for commuting. But when the going gets competition tough, I've seen this give up.

Now admittedly there's never any guarantees with a race engine, but as the investment grows, there's more to loose than a race. If a main cap fails, it's just a pile of really expensive junk.

Bogie
Old 01-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

block

I can tell you that i have fixed registers like that before. One thing you are going to find,,when you take it apart they are going to be loose again..

I have also fixed them by pushing the cap,,when you take them apart there are going to be loose again.

I have fixed them by swedging the block, when you take them apart they are going to be loose again..

See a pattern here????

You will get away with it 95% of the time... If you have the 5% engine then you will just have to live with the results...

Good luck and let us know how it works out..

Keith
Old 01-14-2008, 06:26 PM

Last photo:

Why doesn't anyone dowel the maincaps? I know the legend Smokey Unick said he did this to keep the caps registered and also so they wouldn't pinch inwards. A 1/4" diameter piece of drill rod or tool steel would make for strong dowels I would think...
Old 01-14-2008, 06:40 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

I can see where that will initially make for a tighter cap but unless you dimple it exactly the same depth and the same area on both sides, the alignment will be off so the price you paid to have it bored/honed is money down the drain because it is no more aligned now than it was before the machine work. JMO

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.