Hot Rod Forum banner

Crank Regrind

7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  topdogger 
#1 · (Edited)
350 Problems

Well i just pulled all the pistons out on my 76 350 and realized that the previous owner didnt believe in regular maintenance. The rod bearings are completely shot and the crank journals arent lookin' so great. I was planning on putting all new bearings in, but not on regrinding the crank. Does anyone have a ballpark estimate on what it would cost to regrind the journals? Also, the wrist pins seem to have a lot of resistance against the rids, the rods do not move from one piston side to the other and it looks like there might be some blueing on the pins themselves. The pistons, rods, and crank are all forged. Any suggestions?

#5 ·
You might want to check your block real close too if it was that bad. I've scrapped two 350's and a 400 I pulled out of 4WD trucks because the crank moved back and forth and trashed the bearing webs and caps, a good telltale is the thrust flange on the crank and the thrust bearing flanges if they're torn up or worn thin you may have block issues as well.

#7 ·
mightycarlo10 said:
I'm starting to wonder if maybe i should just get a stroker kit.
Thats exactly what I did. My rotating assembly wasn't horribly but it was pretty pad. Machining around here is REALLY expensive.

I think the quote was between 200 and 300 to grind a crank. Just to get my block cleaned, bored and checked was to be 800-1000. Balanced with some prehistoric balancer that looks like it was used on the first ford vehicles was said to start at 600.

Needless to say I got a Eagle stroker kit with forged rods, ht pistons and a new 383 crank. I've had to shop around for a lot of machining cost. My rotating assembly is being taken to a different city to a guy with a new computer balancer and a quote of 300.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.