crank rubbing oil pan ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2010, 08:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

crank rubbing oil pan ?

OK so Ive tried building a hot rod 4 over 10 years and just never got it right
so Ive been trying harder this time then all the others combined

i bought a 79 camaro my dream car junk 305 got the 305 running it had like 100 hp if that it was gutless
bought a motor off eBay that was supposed to be all redone blew a grand on it and getting it in the car 3 miles latter found out it was junk! junk junk junk

so i sold every thing i had that i could live with out cars TVs tools anything at all and i hocked my daily driver and bought a brand new gm block 4 bolt main got a 20-20 crank from advance some x rods flat top 4 valve relief hypertech pistons edelbrock alum 70 cc heads arp head studs.014 head gasket 0.5 roller rockers push rods 5.10 5.33 summit racing camshaft edelbrock gear drive edelbrock air gap intake 750 dual line holly rebuilt, new hei distributor ,no name headers new summit racing harmonic balancer chrome pulleys edelbrock watter pump ,stock but new fuel pump hv oil pump 3500 stall x pipe 2 trans coolers hei super coil blah blah blah

so i tried as hard as i could to do things right this time around used assembly lube thread locker anti seize brake parts cleaner packed the oil pump with vaseline checked Clearance of piston to valve used plastigage i mean i have never=ever tried so hard on anything my life...

long story way short i tuned the motor over yesterday by hand after i just got it in the car and got it 90% hooked up and it sounds like the crank is rubbing the oil pan I've used the oil pan on the last junk motor i had and it was fine its a gold milodon oil pan that i painted black no dents or anything near were the crank could rub it and I'm scared to death that this is a prob...my friend said it compression or piston rings or something i don't know and would like to know what i should do ?

thanks 4 reading my book lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

If the crank is a stock 350 stroke of 3.480 then there isn`t a chance of it hitting the oil pan, if it`ll clear a stock pan it shouldn`t have any issues clearing a aftermarket pan unless the pan is for specific stroke cranks. Since oil pans are thin and if the crank makes contact it should give a hollow thumping sound. Usually a noise that`s down in that area is the timing tab making contact with the harmonic balancer so you may want to check that. Also turn the crank until you hear the noise and if the crank is making contact with the pan you should feel a slight bulge on the side of the pan.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:23 AM

Last photo:

thank u this makes sense it turns no noise then a dragging kinda sound then fine again...i know the pan is good I'm just real worried and playing it save ill have to check on this asap
Old 04-19-2010, 05:47 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by xycho_wraith37
it turns no noise then a dragging kinda sound then fine again...i know the pan is good I'm just real worried and playing it save ill have to check on this asap
There's a chance the dipstick could be touching the crank.

First thing I would do is isolate exactly where the rub or whatever is occurring. Use a mechanics stethoscope or a length of fuel line held to your ear while someone turns the engine over by hand. This way you can see if it's coming from the timing cover, oil pan or where ever.

It's not going to be the rings- your buddy isn't too keen on this one- you'd have to have something radically wrong w/the rings for there to be a noise like that associated w/them, IMHO.

Also, be sure that you're not just hearing the compression escape through the intake or exhaust as the engine comes up on compression stroke.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:05 AM

Last photo:

Do you have the oil pump pick up all the way down where it should be?...
Old 04-19-2010, 06:58 AM

Last photo:

i think so ...hard part bought running and trying these things is that the car is 40 miles away lol...as far as i know everything should be in place and were it should be ...no spark plugs or exhaust or distributor in it yet
Old 04-19-2010, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

I had a problem like that last year, brand new rebuilt 350, where the thrust bearing goes on the crank was ground wrong , crankshaft counter weights were actually hitting the block webbing, had that motor in and out of the car three times and apart three times before i figured it out. hope this isnt the case for you. good luck with your build.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:56 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Like Cobalt says you have to try an isolate what area the sound is coming from. Front, rear, center?

Some possibilities:

Is there a windage tray in your oil pan? How well does the gear drive clear the timing cover? Is the sound coming from the flywheel/flexplate if the motor is in the car already?
Old 04-20-2010, 06:09 AM

Last photo:

just got it in the car witch sucks
no windage tray
and if i just gessed cus i didnt have time to try and pin point it

id say it sounded like it came from the pas side lower pan...

gear drive was supossed to fit under stock cover i got a morosso cover so it should be clear i would think !

always the dumb crap that gets ya

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.