cranks and blocks - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2002, 02:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post cranks and blocks

I know a little about motors (mostly just tunning them) , but I was offered for FREE a 350 .30 over, 12:1 domed pistons, ported and polised cast heads, torquer II intake, holly 750 db pumper (secondarys are seezed) Not sure what it has for rods or oil pump.

But were I get a little concerned about taking this block is the guy says it has a 327 crank in a 350 block.
I have never heard of any such thing, nor read about it.
Is this a good street strip motor? Or just a BIG paper weight?
What would you call it even? A 350 .30 over is a 355, but a 350 .30 over with a 327 crank is a _____________?

CHEERS!

[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: novass ]

[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: novass ]</p>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2002, 03:18 PM

Your Motor has been de-stroked. It is NOw something like a 339 cu in? Although not one of the more popular stroker kits (most prefer to stick-in a 400 crank to be 383) It is posible to pull some serious power out of this combo with the right set up.

My suggestions to you would be to accept the free motor, give me your phone number and I will Happily provide you with the details on how to mail your extra Paper weight to Me...lol
Old 08-22-2002, 05:55 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Wait lets go through this again.FREE meaning no money changes hands,you get a motor.
Ofcourse you should take it evan if you only use the intake they cost $100.
The basis of my whole car is based on parts noone wanted.Holley carb sat in rain for 3yr.Free+$20 rebuild=scream.Bought a car for $60 350 skipped.$60motor+$85valvejob+$110cam=screamer.My whole car w/ the exception of some performance parts is made of parts off of about sevan other cars I've owned some free.
Never turn down a free part especially a v8motor.You could turn around and sell it for $250 and go to a bar at worst.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:59 PM

well, I called a few guys that know a more about this then myself. They claim it is a 377 stroker. Lots of bottom end. Not to much for the mid to high.

So, I called the guy offering the motor back and asked 2 questions.
First , why FREE. Answer, no room. He has moved on to 400 SBCs.
Second, What was it in. Answer, used to be a bracket racer.
He said it will run, I am going tommorow to have a listen and check the compresion. I have no use for a holly 750 that needs rebuilding and as for the intake...OLD SCHOOL.......I may take it for a laugh.

I'll let you all know if I grab it and what I will trade/sell it for.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:15 AM

NO SMOKE, NO LEAKS, SOUNDED GREAT! It was in a 81 Camaro with a T350 (shift kit). Took it for a short spin, pulls off the line quite nicley.......IT'S MINE NOW. No cash traded hands.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:27 AM

Thumbs up

[quote]Originally posted by novass:
<strong>NO SMOKE, NO LEAKS, SOUNDED GREAT! It was in a 81 Camaro with a T350 (shift kit). Took it for a short spin, pulls off the line quite nicley.......IT'S MINE NOW. No cash traded hands.</strong><hr></blockquote>

All in all, a very sweet deal. It would have been a bargain at twice the price. Now, what are you going to do with it?
Old 08-23-2002, 06:11 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

How much would you want for the torker????Is it a Torker1 or 2???
Old 08-23-2002, 07:00 PM
All Throttle...No Bottle

Ok...let me clarify something real quick. The only difference in a 327 and a 350 is the crank. The 327 has a 3.25" stroke and the 350 has a 3.48" stroke. They both use the same block and have the same 4 inch bore....the one your referring to just happens to be bored .030. If you put a 327 crank in a 350 you are simply making that 350 into a 327....thats all. If its bored .030 then it will be like a 331 or something like that. It is definetly "Not" a 377. And as far as old school is concerned...theres a lot to be learned at the old school.

HRS10

[ August 23, 2002: Message edited by: HotRodS10 ]</p>
Old 08-23-2002, 09:16 PM

Talking

HotrodS10 is correct, both 327 and 250 blocks are 4.00 bore. The only difference is the stroke, 327 has 3.25 inch and 350 has a 3.48 inch stroke. Both engines use factory 5.7 inch rods. Earlier 327' were forged small journal and some later 68-69 327's were large journal. For performance the 327 has a better rod ratio based on the shorter stroke. A 377 is a 400 block, 4.155 bore (400 with 0.30 overbore) and a 350 crank (3.48 stroke). With out the 0.30 overbore you have a 372 c.i.d. This combination requires the use of crankshaft main spacer bearings. These are very good quick revving engines, the larger bore size and short stroke combo promote good flame travel. Camshaft selection is very critical with this combo, (depending on application). There is nothing wrong with using a SB Chev 400 for drag racing if compression ratios are kept within reason, 12 to one or lower. The 400 chevy has what is referred to as siamesed cylinder walls. because of the larger bore there is no water passage in the small space between the adjacent cylinder. These are solid metal, unlike a 350 or other SB chev engines which have a water jacket surounding each cylinder. 400 water jackets are above and below the cylinder walls. There are steam holes drilled in this solid spacing between the cylinders to allow steam to escape. the cylinder heads must also be drilled with steam holes and a correct head gasket used. Without these holes, overheating and cylinder wall and head damage can occur. If you get the engine for free, take it. Get yourself a Chevy engine code book and this way you can identify exactly what you have, rather than guessing.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:19 PM

Red face

Opps, typo error, the above message first line should say 350 not 250! hey, I'm human, (I think).
Old 08-24-2002, 07:27 PM

[quote]Originally posted by 78 monte:
<strong>How much would you want for the torker????Is it a Torker1 or 2???</strong><hr></blockquote>

Torker II with silver spray paint all over it.
Make me a offer.
Old 08-24-2002, 07:28 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Cynsguy:
<strong>

All in all, a very sweet deal. It would have been a bargain at twice the price. Now, what are you going to do with it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Parts. I have 3 350 builds and 1 400.
Still learning and in the never ending quest for some serious streetable power.
Think I am getting close with the 400. Pulled a flywheel dyno of JUST over 500HP (before the NOS, I would like to let it run on it, but I have spent to much coin on this block to see it die because I got greedy. The bottle is just for looks) and 480 'lbs of tourqe all in the 5000 - 5600 RPM range.

[ August 24, 2002: Message edited by: novass ]</p>
Old 08-24-2002, 08:37 PM

[quote]And as far as old school is concerned...theres a lot to be learned at the old school.
<hr></blockquote>

I was speaking about the INTAKE only when I said OLD SCHOOL.

[ August 24, 2002: Message edited by: novass ]

[ August 24, 2002: Message edited by: novass ]</p>

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.