Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Crankshaft Balancing (a tough one)
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 07:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldoweirdo
Howdy All,
I swapped a crankshaft from a LT1 (truck) engine into another LT1 and now have a vibration. Research reveals the probility for the problem is a balancing issue.

Donor engine was a LT1 truck engine that had the long skirt (heavy duty) pistons and used powdered metal rods, but had cast iron "normal" heads. (Year unknown).

My engine is also an LT1 truck engine, (1997), w/the powdered rods, but has vortec heads and pistons. My research reveals that both engines used the same crank (indeed, the casting numbers are the same), but had different balancing specs because of the vortec pistons.

The only way to confirm the proper crank is to obtain the bob-weight specs, attach the weights to my crank, spin it up and see if the balance is correct or not.

To that end, I am seeking those bob-weight specs for the two engines mentioned above. Anybody that knowledgeable out there?

Many thanks ahead of time, Waldo
Trucks didn't have LT1 engines and LT1 engines can't use Vortec heads. So what is it we're really working with here? Start with casting numbers.

Bogie