Hot Rod Forum banner

Crankshaft Coalition: choosing a topic for your automotive forum

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Jon 
#1 ·
I have been noticing some interesting patterns among the 135 forums listed on the Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums.

I just finished writing an article aimed at those who are considering starting a new automotive forum. A summary, plus a link to the full text, is below:

Between CrankshaftCoalition.com, Hotrodders.com, and various webmaster/administrator sites, I've had a chance to check out hundreds of different automotive forums.

We keep the best ones (135 and counting ) on the Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums.

However, I see a lot of submissions to the list that don't make the cut. There are hundreds, possibly thousands of automotive forums on the web today that lack sufficient activity or information. I've also seen quite a few aspiring webmasters launch the newest "best car site on the net". They typically struggle along with a few members for a while, fail to attract a membership base, and end up shutting down.

Many of them are doomed from the beginning. Not because of lack of time, knowledge, or resources, but because of the topic they chose for their forum. It's typically either too broad, or it's already been sufficiently covered on the net.

This article contains advice for people considering opening up a new automotive forum. Included below are some general guidelines on how to pick a topic, plus specific recommendations for forum topics that I think could be started today, and end up as successful forums.
Full text: Choosing a New Topic for Your Automotive Forum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.